Disclaimer for Work Order

I want to put a disclosure on the bottom of my work order to keep me out of trouble with the customer.    I have customers, as I know most of you have had, that bring poorly constructed tops and I would like to protect myself from this problem.  Does anyone have one they would like to share with me?

Thank you for  your help.

Carol

If you're concerned about potential poor piecing, whether open seams or wavy borders or blocks, merely add "Top will be quilted in the condition it is received" to your intake sheet. Have the customer sign it. If you find problems at intake, note them with your comment that there may be pleats or tucks on top or backer due to "xyz" present. Take good pictures of problems after the quilt is loaded to be armed with evidence if needed. Call the customer if you find something really bad after loading, talk with them about what your solutions are, and document the call on the back of the intake sheet---date, time, and what you both said. Let her know you are taking notes of the conversation--"I'm writing this all down so I remember it" and not "Your quilt is a train wreck and I'm protecting myself when you decide it's not a silk purse when I finish."

All of your customers know the level of their skills. They know if the borders are pieced to fit. Gently pointing out the issues if you catch them at intake and letting them know what you'll do to fix the problems (without judgement and with a positive attitude) will build their confidence in you and keep them coming back. Offer instruction sources for their problem areas if they are welcoming of help---but after you finish. Work around what you can, find the best solution for what you can't fix with the quilting, and be armed with documentation for any after effects.

Remember as well---you can give back any quilt that you feel will reflect badly on you because of your customers piecing skills. It's tricky but you'll have less stress.

Archived