Millie vibration

My Millie (bought new in 2008) seems to vibrate to the point where the cap on my top spool holders will actually vibrate off (scaring me to death when I'm in the zone). 

My set up is as follows:

1) second floor of a house that is over 150 years old - wooden floors

2) table legs are on hockey pucks (suggested by an APQS dealer I met at Fall Market 2015)

3) I checked if my table was leveled and it is.

4) I did change my wheels to a newer version (2011 - forgot what they are called)

What is causing the vibration? It seems to occur about half way (from the front of the machine) on my way to the left.

Can it cause damage to my machine? 

Thank you for your time.

You said your on the second floor, correct? You'll need to move your machine down to the first floor. Preferably on a cement slab. It is actually your house that is making it vibrate. Since it is a 150 year old house, then it wasn't properly re-enforced at the time it was built. Not to say it was made well or not made sound. Depending on the size of the room it's in and the amount of windows within, the isolation of the motor may make the house shake. An easy way to determine this is with a few glasses of water placed in different spots in the room. Run your machine and see which ones vibrate the most. The one vibrating the most will indicate where your house is less re-enforced. Zeke

Good luck

Thanks Zeke! A couple of years ago we renovated the room that my Millie (Penelope) is in and turned it into a full sewing/quilting studio. The wall to wall carpet was taken out and I now have gorgeous wood floors.  

When the room was carpeted, it did not vibrate the way it is now. Is it possible that the carpet had something to do with it not vibrating?

Carole, I would guess that the carpet and pad was absorbing at least some of the vibration from your machine.  Now you need something to do that job again.  I know there are vibration absorbing pads for washing machines.  Maybe you could check at your hardware or home improvement store to see if there is something that will work for your Millie.

Because it does not happen everywhere, I suspect that Zeke is right about your house needing additional reinforcement to avoid vibration when the machine is running.  Our industrial machines are pretty heavy duty.  I know my front load washer makes my house vibrate during the spin cycle, and it is not an industrial model.

My Millie's were on the second floor without a problem.  I bet your old house is more re-enforced then my 1980 was.  Anyway, mine sat on indoor-outdoor carpet.  I think Cagey's idea was good, the rubber will conform to the leg, but if your machine is level all the legs should sink in the same.  You can get carpet squares too, which may help.  Just a thought.

Here are a few other options;

http://www.soundproofing.org/sales/vibrationpads.htm

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=118151

http://vibrasystems.com/?EC=Products&CategoryID=11  This one seems to have been in business for a long time.  You might call them and get their suggestion as to what would be the best solution for you.

Let us know what you figure out.  

Cagey

• 8 months later...

Here is an up date:

I now have vibration rubber blocks under the legs - (at Quilt Market the APQS individual there suggested hockey pucks, that did not solve the problem)

One thing I do want to mentions, my room is not square, meaning that I have a roof angle on two sides of the room (my Millie in in between) .... believe it or not, if I play music on speakers (it doesn't work just from the computer speakers), the machine does not vibrate as much. If I have no music playing on speakers than it will vibrate! I'm thinking it has to do with the sound and the shape of the room. The carpet must have compensated for that. Weird!

Thank you again to everyone who made a contributions. Very appreciated!

Archived