How to tell if leaders are square?

hbuchwitz

Hi all!

I have a new Lucey (about a month).  I notice with nearly every back I put on the right side droops even when I really try to make sure it's on straight or even not straight but tight (I have gone back & pinned the backing fabric at an angle to get the right side tighter.  I've pinned & rolled backing all the way up & down and then added the batting & top.  Same looseness especially as I get farther down the quilt.   Always on the right side - never the left -it stays nice & tight.  I've done narrow & wide quilt backs.

I haven't taken my intro class yet - since I'm close to Des Moines (3 hours) I am taking it there but not until October bc that's what I could work out with hubbies' schedule to get him 2 days off work.  Wondering if I should have already done something to check whether my leaders were on right/square.  I had APQS deliver/setup for me.

THANKS!

If your rollers are level and parallel (check with a long level and a tape measure) and if your table top is level (again check with a level) pin your leaders together and unroll and roll back, the entire set at least twice, keeping some tension on the leaders the whole time. Un-pin the leaders and let the take-up leader hang down pooled on the table top. Advance until the edge of the leader clears the table. Is the gap even? Does the edge run in a straight line or does it dip or raise above the table? That's where you can see if the leader needs to be replaced or corrected. 

Concerning level rollers, you should have the same number of threads exposed at the eye-bolts at both ends of the same roller, if you suspect they aren't level. If APQS installed, they should be OK, but check them. That is usually the culprit with a new machine and new leaders. Good luck!

Archived