Help - Backing too Short

apylinski

Help. I am hurrying to complete a quilt before tearing down my Millie for a move. I'm almost to the bottom and realize the backing is about 2 inches short. What can I do besides take it off and try to sew a little bit more on??? Can I add a piece of fabric to the backing on the longarm??

I am so mad right now. It's a wide back and when I had to square up the cut ends I had to rip the ends to get a straight of grain! It was cut so crooked I didn't have any choice. But I should have measured twice and ripped once.

Ughhhhhh!

Ann:  I think you'd at least have to unpin the backing, pin the extended backing piece to the leader, then pin the backing to the new piece, pull it tight, and then stitch a seam.  Make sure the seam points up, so it doesn't show too much.

As an aside, I find that most of the large backs are cut crooked.  Probably because of the multiple folds on the bolt.  I always pin the selvage to the leaders.  Then I know the top and bottom of the quilt at least, are parallel.  Jim

Ann

You can lay another piece of backing on top of your existing backing (wrong sides together) and stitch a straight line across near the bottom of the backings, then unpinned the back and pin the new piece to the leader, saves taking the quilt off the machine.

Hope it makes sense.

Nigel

Thank you all so much for words of encouragement and help. I have no backing fabric available so I'm off to my local quilt shop to see what I can find. I do go back to the conversation on what I could do and I went to You Tube and found a tutorial (I think it was quilted joy.com) and she makes it looks easy. Let's hope it's a fix. You APQS forum people are all so wonderful and helpful. I've learned so much from your posts.

Again Thank You!

Archived