A few more newbie questions

hbuchwitz

Sorry for the slew of questions this week! I got my machine, started quilting and had great success then left for a week and I've been struggling since with little weirdnesses.

First -  I answered with the manual but I'm leaving it in case it helps somebody else.  Today while troubleshooting the stitch wandering issue I asked about yesterday I noticed the backing was loose. So I tightened it and clamped. touched the bar and it loosened again. Repeat repeat. The clamp is pretty tight but doesn't seem to grip the bar adequately. I am wondering if the bottom clamp shouldn't have the nearly full circle on the backing roller and the open u shape on the top roller? The top clamp has the circle part on the take up roller.   I found this answer in the manual - think I just need to adjust how tight the clamp is now that I've been using it a while.  Both of the clamps sit with the closed part on top and the open "C" part on the bottom.

Second question - are your needle up/down & start/stop button oriented the same or differently on the handles?  I am right handed but was doing some ruler work this weekend and had to use my left hand to start/stop and noticed they are not the same angle as the right hand.  It was comfortable though - so I'm curious if this is on purpose.

I think I understand and you have the right idea.  The circular part of the clamp (more surface area to hold) should be on the roller you most want to keep tight being the backing roller and if your machine has two clamps the take up roller as well.  I believe you need an Allen Key to tighten the clamp if it is still too loose.  When you get it to your liking you may want to use some blue Loctite on the threads to stop the bolt from backing off.

Nigel

Archived