Double knit quilt top

Ora Ferguson

oh gosh!  I probably would take it to a machine quilter and see what she has to say about it.  I usually just use quilting cotton or flannel in my quilts.  I would think it would be stretchy and hard to quilt....would it look OK if you tied it?  what are you using for batting and what for backing.  How big is it?I am not a professional...I just quilt for myself basically...someone with more experience will chime in I am sure.   Lin

Thank you all for your help.  I have not sewn the blocks together yet.  I believe it will be a queen size when I get them sewn together.  I just finished the last embroidery on them last evening.  I will get my husband to help me post a photo of the blocks laid out on our bed.  I do hand quilt, but I did not want to hand quilt this.  I thought cotton should be the backing and a low loft batting.  I don't want it to be heavy.  Thank you again for your information.  Ora

post-97568-0-65939100-1474231198_thumb.jpg

post-97568-0-62599600-1474231239_thumb.jpg

I really don't remember who gave me this box of things already cut out embroidery on most of them and the girls already pinned on.  I ran across the box while looking for something else and decided to finish this project on the machine.  Then I decided to ask what to do with it.  We live in South Texas and really don't have much use for quilts, but I do have grand children that will love it when it is finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Ora,

My mom made several hundred quilts and comforters.  She loved to use double knit polyesther fabric.  Only in her later years did she start making quilts out of cotton.

I have quilted many of her double knit quilts on my long arm machine and they quilt just beautifully.  My recommendation is to not use a high loft batting as it will tend to make the top shift more than you will like. 

If you use a "stable" backing (meaning flannel or mole skin) you should be fine.  I wouldn't recommend double knit on the backing because it stretches a bit much for my liking.  I float the quilt tops, so no worries about the stretch there.

Hope you find someone with experience working with double knit.  It can be tricky, but if the quilter knows what he/she is doing, they can quilt it just fine.  If you can't find anyone close to you, I'd be happy to quilt it for you. 

Lora.

Archived