Darlene Epps new Heirloom Feathers Book

digisuz

I?ve been working with Darlene?s new Heirloom Feathers Book for about a week now and all I can say is WOW. This is a definitive book on these feather designs and a real value as it?s a 2-part set. The Pocket Guide illustrates the simple steps and basic rhythm to forming these beautiful feathers. Then Darlene shows you the many gorgeous variations she has developed to embellish these designs. The Workbook portion of the set shows you how to add dimension to your feathers with easy learning examples on outside curves, inside curves, twisting your feathers and how to fill shapes in with feathers. There are many stunning effects.

I was already a fan of Darlene?s ?Pocket Guide to Freehanding? series of books. Not having a background in drawing, I?m amazed at what I?ve learned to do. With this book on feathers, I feel Darlene has soared to a new level of communicating the art of making beautiful quilting designs. Darlene, you are so generous with your contributions to everyone who loves quilting. Thank you and warm wishes.

I got the book from Darlene at www.TrilliumHouseDesigns.com.

Suzanne Moreno, Digitizing Instructor

Digitizing for CompuQuilter Course Book

cqdigi@charter.net

Darlene hooked me up with a book called "Drawing On The Right Side of the Brain" - it is suppose to help you draw for those of us that think we can't. Wow, I am so happy that Darlene turned me on to this book. Now I feel like I can tackle her Freehand Pocket Guides...and now Feathers!! Yippee.

I love feathers so I was wondering about the book. I own "Infinite Feathers" by Anita Shackleford which is also excellent. I will have to purchase Darlene's book too.

I bought "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain". My girls Art Teacher from grammar school.....many, many, many years ago recommend the book. I haven't started the exercises...but it looks great too. I am hoping for improvement in my own untrained brain....there is hope:P LOL...I can envision the end result...I just have problems making my hand draw what I see in my head.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Cheryl,

I haven't started the exercises yet either, but I have all the supplies gathered together, just need to find the time to start. I have read up to the directions for the exercises and it was as if the author was talking directly to me. I hope there is hope for me. I do have pretty hand writing and that is suppose to be an indicator of being able to draw....time will tell.

Thanks for the Darlene Epps announcement.

A drawing skill that really helped me is what my 7th grade teacher called Contour Drawing. She said to look at an object and draw the main shape of it by putting the pencil down on the paper and not ever lifting it till you are done. Then stare at the object and let your eyes go around the object as you move your pencil. Trick is - you can't look at your pencil! With a little practice your eyes and pencil will be moving together and the shapes will be getting better and better.

Vicki

I thought I was marrying a rich man! He kept telling me he had "piles"....

I thought he meant "piles of money"....and must own Darlene's new attempt at making a machine artist out of me. I've done well with the

pocket books...got pretty fast and pretty good at them, In fact, was proud

of myself! Now have to start over...haven't been on the machine for 6 mo. due to moving and a new knee implant...but we're getting closer...going to

put on the zippers any day now and then we'll MOTIVATE!!!! ML in Mo.

Archived