New Lenni

I just ordered my Lenni yesterday after almost a year of looking and several months of deliberation between the Lenni and a Handiquilter.  Its my first longarm and Im nervous as I have read some horror stories on tension etc.  I am very excited too, cant wait to get my machine and get started learning.  Any advice for a newbie?

Carol

Enjoy your new Lenni!!

Take it easy and relax. I know easier said than done. Read through some of the past topics on tension. Pick a thread like So fine or glide. Work with that thread until you get the tension right. Some people do the drop test for bobbin tension. Jamie Wallen has a good YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

I couldn't get my bobbin tension right using the drop test, so I bought a Towa gauge. I use a Towa gauge on every bobbin. That saved my sanity. You need to find the tension your machine likes. Some machines like 170-180. Mine actually likes 250.

Play with the three hole thread guide if you're having problems. When using glide, my Millie likes it when I only go through one of the holes.

Deb.

You are going to love your Lennie.  I wouldn's listen to other people horror stories on tension.  Watch the YouTube video on bobbin tension from Jamie Wallen and you will have the majority of your tension problems solved right there.  The rest will be easy peasy.  Just be patient and practice, practice, practice.  You will have it down in no time.  

First off Congratulations, your going to love Lenni once you bond. Each machine is different; some threads work well and others don't. My advice would be not to cheap out on the type of thread you use. I have had more trouble with cheap off brand threads than I have had with quality brand names. What is nice about APQS machines, besides their quality and ease to use, is the customer support. The Forum here has a wealth of knowledge and the members are so helpful. As mentioned above there are numerous you tube videos regarding thread tension you can watch and don't forget to look through the many past post about thread tension here on the Forum. Good luck and have fun!

Congratulations! I am a Lenni owner since May of this year, and like you I processed for close to a year, and as soon as I ordered, tension seemed to be the top story! But, I have had very few problems. I did watch the Jamie Wallen videos and they really help. I wind my own bobbins with no issues. Lots of practice and you will be fine. I really enjoy my machine! Blew a fuse, if that didn't make my heart drop, but I asked the question and had replies, right where to find a spare and how to install. It is a great group, very encouraging. You won't regret your decision ")

It is true about the thread. Use your cheap thread for basting hexies... "). Happy stitches!

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought Lucey about a month ago. When I got my first longarm, the horror was all about tension. My advice to you to use the same thread top and bottom for as many quilts as you feel comfortable with, then start playing with different threads. Lucey is so awesome I started out with different threads and weights in the top and bottom. Helen Godden and Jamie Wallen both have awesome videos on youtube for tension issues. Hope this helps!

The glide liking only 1 hole has a reason!    When I just recently took my intro class I did it in Des Moines.    For most threads (So Fine is one) you thread the machine as stated in the manual... but some threads are wound onto their cones differently & a different thread path through the 3 holes makes more sense to "unwind" the twist put on by the cone.   Others (glide & other trilobal threads) function best when not unwound - so feeding the thread through "straight" works best! 

If you have a chance - take your free class in Des Moines from Dawn - I learned SOOOOOO much!  I got my Lucey in July & just went in late October.  I was a bit worried because I was pretty comfortable before I went and was thinking I could have used it more 2-3 weeks into having my machine.... but that extra practice time actually helped me understand more of what she was talking about.

Also - if you have issues you can call APQS & they will walk you through troubleshooting on the phone.  You are going to love your machine!

Archived