Nothing Fancy Baby Quilt

My best friend's grand daughter is having her first son next month.  The entire family is in the air force or retired from the air force so I made the baby a small quilt.  It's colorful (babies brings such joy so gotta be colorful and happy looking).  I found air force fabric for the backing at JoAnn's.  I didn't do any fancy quilting since I figured the baby was going to poop on it first thing anyway so just used loops to make sure it held together with washings.  I'll give it to the great grand parents Sunday at church and they can give it to the parents when they go see the baby for the first time.

CIMG0158.JPG

CIMG0155.JPG

CIMG0156.JPG

CIMG0157.JPG

Well, I had something happen this morning that has never happened to me before.  This morning in Sunday School we (the class) presented the baby quilt to my friend and his wife (who are the directors of the class) and they both started crying.  My friend, Gene, actually broke down and couldn't make the announcements.  Gene is a really large man who was air force MP and to see tears running down his face was so moving.  They were so appreciative of the quilt and especially for me to take the time to put the air force fabric on the back.  They both hugged me and thanked me over and over.

This is why I quilt.  To do something for someone who really appreciates the hard work and love that goes into a gift.

Archived