Wedding Gift for my Niece

Here are some pics of a quilt I just finished up for my niece who got married 5 weeks ago....The couple wanted something "modern"  and I found a pic of this on pinterest.  It's mostly half square triangles with a few solid blocks thrown in.  Each block is 10 half square units and 6 square units.  All blocks are the same and are turned various ways when laying them out to get the overall design.  I thought about quilting straight lines, but wasn't sure the quilt would line up exactly with my channel locks...and no, I didn't square each block after I made it. I started quilting with a free hand leaf type design that was similar to the little melon shapes in the background fabric; it morphed slightly as I progressed.   I used one layer of Hobb's 80/20 bleached and white cotton sateen on the back, with Metro thread in top and bobbin. The quilt measures 94 x 109 inches

Full view interwovenBack of interwoven

Love the quilt design and your fabric/colour choices.  I really like the little pops of colour you've inserted here and there while maintaining a mostly blue and white pallet. (Assuming the coloring is coming out true on my screen ;)).  The quilting really adds a nice texture to the quilt.  A beautiful gift!

22 hours ago, Kwiltr said:

Love the quilt design and your fabric/colour choices.  I really like the little pops of colour you've inserted here and there while maintaining a mostly blue and white pallet. (Assuming the coloring is coming out true on my screen ;)).  The quilting really adds a nice texture to the quilt.  A beautiful gift!

They both liked blue, but his favorite color is purple, so I put a few pops of purple in.  My lighting wasn't the greatest, but some of the blue batiks had some purples and greens as well.  I was happy how it turned out.  They got it yesterday and loved it!

Archived