Latest Quilt- Summer at the Lake

Here are a few pics of a quilt I've made to give to a friend dealing with a health challenge.  It's a Jelly Roll pattern called Summer at the Beach that is free on the net at England Street Quilts blog, and I had a JR on hand I wanted to use...  I changed the name as my friend lives on a lake :o). 

I learned a few things with this quilt, as with most actually.  Specifically, I should have done a bit of pin basting, especially because there was no border and therefore a lot of bumpy seams meeting at the edges of the quilt that gave me a big of grief when trying to baste them in place, not to mention the bias in the edges.  Anyway, I think it came out acceptable, and am happy with it.  I out flannel on the back so it would be cuddly, and I just love it.  It's kind of mottled in colour and it gives it almost a velvety look to it.  So here you go!  Thanks for looking!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, T Row Studio said:

I love your design choices in the different area Kathy. I like the density of your quilting also

Thank you Terry and everyone else who have commented!  It's funny, I spend so much time before I start quilting, trying to decide what to quilt and often what I decide on then,  changes when I finally get at it.  At this point, I'm still not comfortable or good at quite a few of the designs I've used before, because I can't do them well enough in all directions yet.  Ugh..

31 minutes ago, Kwiltr said:

Thank you Terry and everyone else who have commented!  It's funny, I spend so much time before I start quilting, trying to decide what to quilt and often what I decide on then,  changes when I finally get at it.  At this point, I'm still not comfortable or good at quite a few of the designs I've used before, because I can't do them well enough in all directions yet.  Ugh..

We are our own worst critics Kathy. I think we get more comfortable the more we do it and I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing. 

21 minutes ago, T Row Studio said:

We are our own worst critics Kathy. I think we get more comfortable the more we do it and I do not see anything wrong with what you are doing. 

Thanks Terry!  Ribbon Candy really messes with my head when I'm not doing it left to right and perpendicular and I love ribbon candy and a lot of other things on the angles :(. I need to get myself going on a practice quilt I plan to keep, so I can work on those things...

Kathy,

This is one of the nicest jelly roll quilts I've seen.  Your design choices are perfect for the quilt.  I love the look of the back.  You've done a tremendous job with it.  I've been quilting for 8 years and I still have trouble with design choices.  Sometimes, I get an inspiration while I'm quilting.  I love those!!!

54 minutes ago, apylinski said:

Kathy - this is wonderful. Love the quilting on it. I have one started with all the blocks together. This gives me some incentive to get it sewn together and quilted. I may use some of your quilting ideas if you don't mind. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Ann!  I'm flattered that you would want to use some of my quilting ideas, I great compliment!  A lot of my quilting ideas and inspiration come from Judi Madsen, among many others.  I just love that style and try to emulate it when I have a quilt that it might work on.    Have fun making your own quilt!

1 hour ago, LibbyG said:

Kathy,

This is one of the nicest jelly roll quilts I've seen.  Your design choices are perfect for the quilt.  I love the look of the back.  You've done a tremendous job with it.  I've been quilting for 8 years and I still have trouble with design choices.  Sometimes, I get an inspiration while I'm quilting.  I love those!!!

Thanks LibbyG!  I spend a lot of time (too much time) researching and thinking about ideas for quilting each project and more often than not, my best ideas come forward when I start the actual quilting!  It's a great pattern for a JR and pretty straight forward construction.

• 1 month later...

Archived