Thread breakage on new to me Freddie

I have had my Freddie for a couple of weeks, just cannot seem to quilt anything freehand without top thread breaking. I have tried, new needle, different size needles, rethreading, different thread, net on cone, batting in thread guide, loosening/tightening tension on both bobbin & top. This is in stitch regulated mode. I'm also getting occasional very loose stitches on the top & tangling on the back. What can I try next wise ones?? :)

Dell:  You mention problem with "freehand" does that mean that everything is fine when you stitch a panto?  Maybe "freehand" is all you've done so far.  If that's the case, it sounds like your top tension is too loose.  Tighten it up until you a pulling the bobbin thread to the top and can see it in every stitch (use contrasting color threads so you're sure which is which).  When the top thread is too loose, it will tangle on the back, and then break.  Good luck.  Jim 

Delle:

Call APQS, talk with Dawn or Amy.  They can listen to you quilting, and guide you in the right direction.  it worked great for me, when I first started.  Their miracle ears can sound out your issues, and get you up running in no time.  It takes all the frustration and woes out of your new baby.  Life is so much better when you have balanced threads and no breakage.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Hi Jim, thanks for your thoughts. When I stitch a panto I use my Intelliquilter, I did not have any problem with thread breakage. When I freehand (background fills etc) I have the breaks. Happens on stitch regulated & manual modes. Frustrating! I'm going to try different batting when I get home tonight. 

Delle:

I am sure that Dawn and Amy can think outside the box, and Skype or FaceTime with you to solve your issues.  I hazard to guess that APQS customer service is worldwide.  I would suggest dropping them an email, and ask to setup an online diagnostic time.  All they can say is No, and I would expect more than that from APQS.

Cagey

Archived