Project Angel Quilt

1 hour ago, Quilting Heidi said:

Betsy I would make it with all 39 blocks and sashing as planned.  Since she is still in the hospital it would fit nicely on her bed and give her some extra special love to hang onto.  That doesn't sound too big to me.

Thanks, Heidi.  I was leaning that way, and appreciate your input!

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To keep her toes warm, I think you have to go at least 72 long.  That way you can snuggle up with it to your neck, and have your feet tucked between two layers of quilt.  Sixty wide lets a grandkid or someone else snuggle up with you to stay warm.  Go wide and go long.

Cagey

13 hours ago, dbams said:

OK, everyone, I need some advice.  How big is too big for this quilt?  I have come up with a layout to use all 39 blocks on the front, but the quilt is then either 74"x86" (with sashing around all 4 sides of every block) or 70"x82" (if I don't put sashing the outer edges of the blocks on the outside of the quilt). 

For 36 blocks on the front, the quilt will be either 74"x74" or 70"x70", and there will be 3 blocks on the back.

For 30 blocks (our original goal), the quilt will be 62"x74", and there will be 9 blocks on the back.

Your thoughts????

36 blocks will be a 6 x 6 configuration.

42 blocks will be a 6 x 7 configuration, which at the moment leaves us short 3 blocks. Any more "expected in the mail?" If not, I can get 3 in the mail to you tomorrow. (Wishing David's block would arrive at it's destination.)

I'm not a fan of square quilts, but if that's what we've got then go with it and put three on the back.

JMHO-

If more blocks are needed I can quickly do another one and get it in the mail this afternoon.  The only reason I didn't do that before now is that I thought you had enough.  I'll watch for a reply.  One good thing that came from all of this is that I liked my block so much I made a quilt top from that block although different colors.

Thanks for the input, everyone, and the offers of extra blocks.  No more are expected in the mail, but I do have a plan.

Rows of 6-5-6-5-6-5-6 will equals a layout of 6x7 blocks, and use all 39 blocks I have received.  I am going to make some simple "half" blocks to fill in at the ends of the 5 block rows.  I haven't actually contributed any blocks, so this will give me a chance to do that.

David, I'm sorry I didn't think to ask you to send another block, even though we had plenty of blocks offered.  I will let Rita know what happened there.  Because I am on a time deadline, I need to get the top put together this weekend, or I would wait for another block from you.  In addition to leaving on our family vacation on March 14th, our oldest daughter graduates with her MBA from Michigan State on March 12th, so I really need to get Rita's quilt done and shipped by next Friday.  I will be kind of busy after that. :)

OK, what size quilt block is going to be used for the NEXT "angel" quilt? 

Finished size 4x4, 6x6, 8x8, 10x10, 12x12, funky size 8.5x11, 6x9, 4x10, etc?

That way, each of us could make up one when things are not busy, and when a need arises for an "angel quilt" a number of us may immediately respond by mailing out a block the next day.

Cagey

20 hours ago, LibbyG said:

I can't wait to see this quilt, Betsy.  You're amazing to figure out that configuration.  Hey, David, I want to see your block quilt.

Don't give me too much credit, Libby.  I discovered today that I neglected to consider that the 5 block rows will have 8 sashing strips with the addition of two half blocks at the ends, versus only 7 sashing strips on the 6 block rows.  Should have made each of my half blocks an inch smaller.  Oops.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:01 PM, LibbyG said:

I can't wait to see this quilt, Betsy.  You're amazing to figure out that configuration.  Hey, David, I want to see your block quilt.

Libby....here's a pic of my quilt you requested...as I mentioned my block got lost in the mail but I liked the block so much I made this top from the same pattern...It's called "Lady of the Lake."  The camera doesn't really do the colors justice...fabric that looks white is actually a pale lavender to match the lavendar in the borders and pasily blocks.  It's not quilted yet...got one on the frame to finish first...not sure what I'll do with this.

CIMG0323.JPG

Just finished the top!  It is sideways on my design wall, and I rotated the picture, which is why the left edge looks a bit wavy.  Also had to work around my husband's exercise equipment to get the picture, hence the black half circle near the upper left. :)

Tomorrow I load and quilt!

Rita's Quilt Top - 03-06-2017 - 2.jpg

Archived