Storm at Sea...Need Design Help!!

Hi guys, this is the raffle quilt for my local guild here in WA. I have the honor of quilting it, but I'm stumped. I've been staring at it for days now and am having such a hard time. I generally try to do custom on these raffle quilts and give the guild a nice discount. This one, though...

Well...what I see are too many muddy colors with mostly the same value that do not emphasize the S@S piecing.  So far, the only thing I've come up with is to try to do something unique in the blocks that have the reddish centers. Its an interesting quilt, but I really need another set of eyes as well as suggestions.

Any ideas?????

unnamed.jpg

Nice quilt!  My first thought, in response to your design challenge, is that total custom quilting would be lost on a quilt like this as the fabrics and piecing are so busy.  Having said that, it would be nice to isolate and emphasize the window/porthole, and it's "view".  You could also isolate the border and do a custom treatment of it as it stands out apart from the main body of the quilt.  For the balance of the quilt, something simple like a wavy background fill (maybe on the diagonal to follow the quilt movement) might be enough to finish it.  Of course, my experience is limited, so I'm sure someone else will have better ideas.  Will look forward to seeing what you end up doing when it's done!

Well, I am a huge fan of the Quilted Pineapple quilting. She does some really beautiful quilting, and quilts shapes where you don't necessarily see shapes, or makes her own. Since it is a raffle quilt, I know you want it to bring lots of money, and I hope it does, but darn it, so many times they do not. What every you do, I hope your quilts brings in a bunch. Whatever you do, I know you will do it justice!!

To me the first thing I noticed was the porthole and then the light colored and turquoise colored wavy diagonal stripes.  Custom texture for the rocks/mountains, sky, and water inside the porthole, then some feather design in the maroon frame.  You could do some sort of feather in those turquoise and light diagonal areas, some straight line quilting in those brownish "block" areas to make those look like stars (Judy Masden style quilting) , and then some sort of easy filler in the rest.

Thanks everyone for all your opinions. I'd already decided on something special in the "porthole," but hadn't considered the border. I'm afraid Kathy is right, not much will show in the body and the backing is busy, so even that won't show much.  Thanks for the tip about Quilted Pineapple.  I'll check them out too.

If you really want a ticket, let me know and I'll get you one. They'll be a $1 each.

So appreciate your opinions and suggestions!!  Thanks again!!!

Dory:

If you could make a copy of the porthole and then blow it up to fit the bottom right corner.  Then you could trapunto quilt the outline of the porthole with the same design that you use in the real porthole.  While the actual quilting would probably not stand out, the second layer of batting would make it pop while hiding in the background.

Cagey

Ok.  If it were me...and sorry I'm late on this...i'd do what I call....Drop AND plop!

Drop a template, or shape around each of those portholes.  Then do a unique stitching in that.  They will all intersect/meet up and you will have a stunning quilt and if using a green thread....try all the shades u can,until you find the right green... it will show up!!!

Archived