How should i deal with this?

Give me some help here. This is a top i inherited. My mom bought it. All the blocks look like this as far as seams going every which way. I haven't quilted one this irregular before. Maybe a seam here and there but not this. I think SID will be a nightmare. Maybe just around the block?  Will the seams show?  My questions just go on and on. Have any of you encountered something like this and what did you do?  The pieces are machine stitched and it is a beautiful  9 patch made with love probably 50 years ago at least. 

Well i have pressed as well along with starching. Going to use one of the methods Dawn posted for a nine patch with cursive e.  May decide an overall pattern after practice though. Feathers in the sashing because i love them. Will decide later for borders. Still thinking about thread color. The backing is unbleached muslin.  Any ideas, send them my way. 20170314_132938.jpg20170314_133105.jpg

Judy it looks like you did a lot of work to try to straighten those seams.  I would think SID would be difficult but what if you cc'd the 9 patch to stabilize it and then did feathers in the borders?  I think that would probably work.  Another option would be to just do a feather meander over the whole top, I'd bet that would look fantastic.  I'd go with a neutral thread, something that would blend in with most of the quilt.  Try colors that you wouldn't normally use, you'd be surprised.

I have decided to quilt the blocks as the video by Dawn wirh the cursive "e".i feel comfortable doing this design. My questions are:

Can i srart at a corner and quilt down then move toward the middle of the quilt. 

Should i quilt the blocks and then come back to do the sashing or should i quilt the sashing before moving to the next block. 

The seams pressed out really well. I was pleasantly suprised. Thanks for your advise. 

Judy

I could not find it online but Claudia Pfeil teaches a Penguin Feather.  It is just like a bump back feather, but instead of backtracking on the original feather, you mirror the original feather about a 1/8th of an inch away.  Then where you would normally bump out to form the new feather you do exactly that.  So every other feather has a sort of a beak, thus a "penguin feather" as she called them.  I will try to find a picture in my stash from her class and try to post it here later.  There is never any backtracking, so you will not be your own worst critic.  

Cagey

Archived