Baby Blocks for Mary Beth's daughter Jen

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teresa,

I sort of cheated:) I am in the process of making a baby quilt (the one I asked for quilting suggestions for the Irish Chain a few days ago), so I had the pastel fabrics out on my cutting table already. I used 30's fabrics in pink, blue and green, with some white fabric. The block I made for Jen is from a memory quilt book, so the white fabric is where you can write a message..so I did. It was like being in the right place at the right time.

Sandy

I am a little confused (of course!). Do you want three (3) blocks sent to you? One white on white, one pieced, one pastel, all 6.5" finished? Or did you mean use white on white for any white spaces in the pieced block, so send two (2) blocks, one pieced pastel, one solid pastel?

Are we going to make a larger block as well for Jen's own quilt?

Thank you Sandy. Wow you are fast! I wrote you a note directly. 30's fabrics are a great idea.

Patty - One pieced block using white and a color or colors and one plain colored square. Even a white piece of fabric 6.5" square might work out well into the quilt too. We could stitch a bunny on it. Maybe the I Spy part can be in the stitching. I already have drawings for a few things. Maybe you guys do too. If so, then please send them with the block.

Linda - Thank you for your offer to do all the work. How about if we share tasks? I'll collect them all and sew them together, get the minky and I have batting already, then I'll send it to you for quilting and binding?

Mary Beth - Have you read the "Persian Pickle Club"? It's about quilters in the 1930's in rural America helping each other out through life's challenges. APQS Chat helps us connect with one another in much the same way though we don't live close to each other. We shouldn't let a little distance keep us from comforting each other. Quilters have lots of love to share, lots of fabric and stitches too. Our hearts and blessings are with you, Jen, her baby, and all your family. Here's more flowers.

The Quilting Soldiers

post--13461898095791_thumb.jpg

Vicki:

I could also sew them together, or collect them, etc. I live about a mile from Mary Beth and can hand deliver it or whatever. Let me know what I can do to help. I'd love to do more than just a block or two, but others need to be involved too, so I guess I'd have to share!

Hey Vicki,

Remember me? I'm the lady from Buda Texas, who used to live in Phoenix,who attended Karen Mctavish's classes with you in Phoenix? Count me in! I can empathize with what both Jen and Mary Beth are going through. I had a touch and go pregnancy with my son 28 years ago (gasp! how time flies!), and a daughter who was very sick and required IV's during the first 6 months of her pregnancy. Anything I can do, let me know. I'll send an email for your address.

Mary Burns

Liberty on 10' table

Buda, TX

So Mary Beth, how about two prayers, one for night and one for morning? When my now 4 year old granddaughter was inutero we were told she wouldn't live long after her birth so I made her a quilt with lots of prayers all over it. Happy to say she is a healthy happy little girl with none of the problems they were anticipating. let me know if Jen has a preference. I will start on them tonight. Also do you want the prayers in the colored block or the white

I'm in, too. I can do two blocks following our fearless leader's plan, which I think is perfect. I've got two questions :o:

1. I don't understand the signing the block instructions. I assume you mean to put your name in the seam allowance, but I'm worried that little bits of the writing might slip outside the quarter inch and show in the finished block.

2. Where do I mail them?

Kathy, the Wannabee in Maryland

The response has been fantastic with so many people getting started immediately and already sending them off in the mail. The marching cadence must be really quick. Maybe it is possible to get them all done in a week or two. Please send them to me - Vicki Bohnhoff, 1802 W. Camargo Court, Anthem, AZ 85086-1921.

Sign blocks to show on the front and if you can discretely sign them next to a sewn seam, not the raw edge, then the writing may blend in well with the quilting, like signing art, our quilt art. I'll post a picture of the collection.

Keep in touch on this chat. Thanks troops.

Vicki

Vicki - Sign me up as well!! This is really a great and awesome idea!! Just

a way to prove that she really IS in our thoughts and prayers.... love it!!

Bekah - I am very interested in the "Prayer Block" you have mentioned.....

is it a verse written on a block? Like a signature block? Like the idea!

I've been away from the forum for a while, but I want to make a couple of blocks, too. I think I've got some beautiful pastels in my stash, so I'll try to get them made this week. I know you've already got volunteers for quilting, but if you have so many that you need to make more than one quilt, I'll be glad to quilt one.

Phyllis

Thank you Phyllis for volunteering to quilt if we need to make more than one. It has been suggested that we make one for the baby and one for Jen and her family. At first I thought we might only have enough for the one quilt. We'll have to see how this goes.

Thank you Jeanne for offering to take the quilt over to Mary Beth. I think a personal delivery from us would be a fabulous idea rather than getting it in the mail. Then perhaps you can take pictures too. ;)

Thank you to all of you who have signed up to make a block or two. It's nice to see us banding together. May your quilting hands and giving hearts put a smile on your face.

Vicki

Archived