Baby Blocks for Mary Beth's daughter Jen

Dear Vicky,

I would like to participate very much. However, I don?t think I will be able to make a block so quickly that it can reach you soon as I live in Spain and packages to the States can delay up to 10 or 15 days. Would it be possible to send you a 6,5" square this week?

Thanks,

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Cristy: If you would like to send little fabric pieces you intended to put into a block and the directions for the block, then I'll cut it out and sew it up for you. Be sure to sign a piece of fabric so that I can put that in the block too. Or, just a square of 6.5" pastel fabric with your name on it would be appreciated too. Third option would be to email me your block directions and color choice, and I'll make it up. dancingstitcher@mac.com Which ever you choose, you can participate. Muchas gracias.

Vicki

Hi Guys - thank you for your fabulous support of Mary Beth's daughter Jen. They have both indicated that they would like the overflow blocks to be used in a quilt for April's daughter Jessica who is also having a difficult pregnancy. April W is in the birthday block group. I set up a separate thread "Baby Blocks for April's daughter Jessica". If you have the time and can make an extra block or send a 6.5" piece of pastel fabric that coordinates with your blocks, then please include it to my address. You can mark it "boy" if you want it to specifically go for the second quilt. Thank you in advance for your kindness and generous gifts.

This is what I have made for both quilts. Can't wait till yours arrive.

Vicki

post--13461898097485_thumb.jpg

First arrivals for Jen's quilt- Sandra Darling, Philadelphia, PA (top left) "I'm sending lots of hugs and prayers to all of you"; Shana Clay, North Pole, AK (top right); Beth Durand, Portland, OR (lower left); mine, Anthem, AZ (lower right). Yes, these are "very cute baby blocks" Shana. Thank you Sandra, Shana, and Beth for getting Operation Jen's Quilt off to a great start. I printed your name and city/state on your block Beth. Still have to do mine. Now where is that permanent blue ink marker?

Yea! We're off and stitching to a great quilt. I'll post this on Jen's thread too.

Vicki

post--13461898098413_thumb.jpg

Oh dear. Those are so cute! I hope mine can measure up... Hmm..... what would you suggest? I won't be able to get to it till next month, but would like to start thinking about it now, of course. I know it's only a few little blocks, but it's fun to think about. I love the colors already assembled. I have some 30's repro fab, so maybe I'll pic some of those too. Hm...... food for thought.

Barbara Plagge (a silent reader) and Kathy Cramer (Kathy in MD): Thank you for the adorable blocks. Barbara's has little critters on them and Kathy made two blocks, one with a rose and the other in the shape of a darling house. I'll be posting a photo of these when I get one more to make the second set.

Thank you in advance for mailing your blocks Phyllis, Kate, Patty, Bonnie, and Teresa. Can't wait to see them. To anyone else who has sent blocks too, thank you for taking the time to make these quilts possible.

On Saturday I purchased minky for the back of both quilts - yellow for Jen and blue for Jessica, both with white polka dots. So cute and incredibly soft. Also bought some fabric for binding and maybe some sashing.

Norece has already mailed batting for both quilts as her donation instead of blocks. Linda Rech is ready to do the quilting.

Vicki - You are so awesome! I will get my blocks in the mail this soon - will

hopefully make them tonight. Do you want some $$$ to put towards the

backing fabric? I don't think you should have to pay for all of that. I will also

enclose a check with my blocks - just a bit to help out.

Thanks again for organizing this and starting the idea! You are just such a

very nice lady!!;)

Not sure... I mailed my blocks today and enclosed a check for $5.00 - that

will help anyhow. I did forget to sign the blocks though.... just thought of

that, sorry Vicki .... How much did the backing cost? Must have been at least

$15.00 or so for each one. I just thought that if a few of us kick in some

$$$ then it does not all fall on Vicki, or any one person. Any other ideas?

Thank you for your wonderful darling blocks - Barbara Plagge, Portage, MI (upper left little critters on them); Kathy Cramer, Frederick, MD made two blocks, one with a rose and the other in the shape of a house. Barbara Goodson, Janesville, CA, two nine patch blocks and another in squares with little flower, dancing girls and anchors; Teresa Taylor, Finley, TN with a heart for each quilt (I signed them for you); Shana Clay, a stary blue star for Jennifer's quilt; Marylyn Jones, Grand Junction, CO with six little embroidered duckies wearing gingham hats and others with cats. You've all outdone yourselves with cuteness.

Thank you Teresa for the heart idea since I had one drafted but couldn't figure out how it all went together and was missing the three bars on the left. Thank you Shana for another miniature that I need to draft. Thank you Kathy for the rose and house block designs which are also new to me. Marylyn, how you make the ducks is beyond me. If it's a program for your machine, I'd like to know where to get it please. And you wrapped them in tissue paper. Ah!

Thank you Norece Embody, Bowling Green, KY for the generous donation of batting for both quilts. You can see it in the photo. Very cute batting. ;)

Thank you for any donations toward the cost of the minky and binding fabrics shown at the top and to the right. I actually hadn't even thought about that since it is within my fabric budget anyway and gifts like these are so much fun.

Joy is in the giving as you all obviously know. What a fabulous bunch of women!

Vicki

post--13461898106368_thumb.jpg

Aren't those just the cutest blocks ever!! You ladies are too much. I hope I get to meet you all some day and hug your necks....and of course - pay it forward. Thank you all. Jen has been looking at the pictures (I print them off for her - think I will send her this site so she can take a peek) and she just loves these blocks.

Mine are in the mail. You will have to excuse the embroidery on the prayers, my poor little machine had too much of a workout as I did 250 towels for a women' retreat and it decided to retire while I was trying to get these blocks done. I was waiting to get it back so I could redoe them but it may never come back so sending like they are along with a couple of churn dash and plain squares. thanks for your patience

Planning a salmon block for Oregon, can't print it as my printer is defunct, waiting for DH to print it at work and bring home. When is the cut-off date again? I thought it was the end of June, but you're almost there now, aren't you? Wait for me!! I'm coming too! (See me racing after everybody else with my fabric and ideas in tow? LoL!

Originally posted by Patch

(See me racing after everybody else with my fabric and ideas in tow? LoL!

Yes - I can see you! Thanks for the giggle....:P You are TOO

funny!!

Love the blocks - thanks for posting the photos and keeping

us up to date with the progress!

Hi Vicki and Everyone,

Wow! These little blocks are sure adorable. I only sent one set of blocks as I jumped to get them in the mail asap, which means I didn't make a set for April. Do you still need blocks? I have a three day weekend coming up and I could make another set if it is needed. Please let me know.

Sandy

As I reviewed this chat thread, I found a missing photo of these darling blocks by Kathy Cramer.

Another big batch arrived on Thursday and Friday so need to take photos and post them here tonight. It's just amazing how many of you are participating in these baby block quilt gifts. You blow me away with your generosity and compassion.

Hopefully, if you have not sent your blocks yet, you'll be able to do that on Tuesday or Wednesday after the long weekend holiday. I'm going to put them up on my design wall and begin the layout to see how we are coming on the count of 72 total for both quilts including pieced blocks and fabric squares.

Great job troops! Vicki

post--1346189814423_thumb.jpg

Thank you to Judi Olson, Garden City, MN (top left period fabric in Nine Patch); Linda Rech, Olympia, WA (yellow moon and star applique); Barbara Plagge, Portage, MI (2nd critter block); Jeanne Rumans, Kansas City, MO (multi-colored pastels); Phyllis Davis, Grand Junction, CO (minky green heart); Phyllis Hughes, Oklahoma City, OK (pastel Bow Tie and star); Linda Card, Ramona-Quilter, Ramona, CA (Nine Patch in blue and white). It's so nice of you to take the time to make this wonderful contribution to the quilts. Great job!

Vicki

post--13461898144684_thumb.jpg

You all are such wonderful friends. I cannot believe what I am seeing. This is one of the most touching thing I think anyone has ever done for us. Jennifer looked at the pics the other day when Vicki posted them, then called me to tell me how cute they all are and how blessed she is by all this. I promise, I'm gonna come to your houses and give you all a huge hug!!

Archived