hbuchwitz

Does your machine make this sound? Think it's the bobbin area

My machine is less than a year old but has made this noise for a while. I thought it was just normal but a month ago my mom was here and we went long arm shopping for her.   When we went to the local apqs dealer I didn't hear hers doing it.   I have been troubleshooting since.   Here's a fast and slower video (just changed the machine not video speed - both are with sr off).

both videos are unlisted but you should be able to view with the link  

what I've noted so far

- When I oil the bobbin area it goes away for 5 minutes

things with no effect

- i have changed needles multiple times

- i have used different threads

- i have used different bobbins (manga glide, super bob, self wound) and different bobbin cases

- I checked and cleaned the top of the machine (inside left panel)

- my wicks are all properly oiled all the time  

i oil every bobbin change and lately more often, especially this last week hubs and kids were off work/school so I would oil every time I started even though the bobbin didn't change

Have you been cleaning (not just oiling) the hook area, per the directions in the manual? It does sound a little "growl," which may indicate a need for deep cleaning.

314B4A28F5D2B9A393862864B500E102.png
Barbara Mayfield
APQS Sales Representative & Educator
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

1315 NW Mall Street, Suite 4

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

First suggestion, call APQS and ask them.  Since they are closed on Sundays I suggest this;

Unthread your machine, and then take out the needle and the bobbin case/bobbin.  Then run the machine.  Does it make the same noise?

If not, bobbin case only and run the machine.  Any noise?

Remove the bobbin case and properly install a needle, and try just running your machine.  Any noise?

Then try running it with the bobbin and the needle.  Any noise?

Finally with all three new needle, bobbin case, and new bobbin.  Any noise.  

Hopefully you can figure it out, if not you at least have more information to share with APQS when you call them in the morning.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

May your threads be balanced, and your bobbin forever full….

You might also try an overnight soak with WD40, just in case there's lint or a thread down in the hook assembly. Place a cloth under the head, across your carriage, take out your bobbin case, blow air into the hook assembly, then spray in WD40.  Leave it overnight, then tomorrow morning, do a full cleaning.  I'm pretty sure APQS Service will ask if you've done that...

Barbara Mayfield
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best." ~Henry van Dyke

APQS Northwest

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

1 hour ago, barbm said:

Have you been cleaning (not just oiling) the hook area, per the directions in the manual? It does sound a little "growl," which may indicate a need for deep cleaning.

Yes cleaning every quilt with WD40 & spraying with air every time I oil.

What do you mean by "deep cleaning"  Is that more than the between quilts air followed by wd-40 while running the machine & then dry and oil and run some more?

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

First suggestion, call APQS and ask them.  Since they are closed on Sundays I suggest this;

Unthread your machine, and then take out the needle and the bobbin case/bobbin.  Then run the machine.  Does it make the same noise?

If not, bobbin case only and run the machine.  Any noise?

Remove the bobbin case and properly install a needle, and try just running your machine.  Any noise?

Then try running it with the bobbin and the needle.  Any noise?

Finally with all three new needle, bobbin case, and new bobbin.  Any noise.  

Hopefully you can figure it out, if not you at least have more information to share with APQS when you call them in the morning.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

I figured I would maybe email Dawn or give them a call tomorrow.   It makes no noise without a bobbin case - not sure about without a bobbin - I haven't tried that combo.

I should note - it stitches fine & has been doing this for a while - I realized it a month ago because it's not super loud especially when using SRegulation.   I've been messing with stuff & paying attention for a few weeks though & now it's under my skin.   I am assuming that click click isn't normal from these comments then right?

Is this a M-bobbin machine? I understand they're noisier than an L-bobbin machine.  Definitely talk to the Service dept., either by email or phone.

Barbara Mayfield
AND Quilt Path owner!!!

APQS Northwest

Issaquah, WA  98027

(425) 243-3502

info@apqsnw.com

www.apqsnw.com

1 minute ago, barbm said:

Is this a M-bobbin machine? I understand they're noisier than an L-bobbin machine.  Definitely talk to the Service dept., either by email or phone.

Yes M Bobbin.  I do feel a bit silly even caring because it's working great. :)   I think it's one of those things you get a loaner car from the dealer for the day & suddenly you are questioning squeaks and quirks of your car -which isn't broken.  I will still give a call and/or play them the slow video - I think that's where the sound is the easiest to distinguish from sewing noise.

So after I finished a few more quilts it was really bugging me so I did more digging, found a post from Dawn explaining how to oil the top of the bobbin case - did that.   The next quilt was awful!      Didn't help that it was an old "whole cloth" scrap piece that I was just trying to stick back on & finish to let the hubs use it (it  has minky on one side - he & kids fight over minky quilts).... but the batting was upside down.   Kept breaking threads, changed out everything.    Finally tried a different sandwich.   Still had issues.   Took a few minutes with Angie from APQS, fixed both the bobbin rattle (just needed MORE oil from the top) and some guidance of extra places to buff & it's great now.

Glad you got it fixed. I totally understand how something like this gets under your skin and bugs you. I am the same way.

signaturedimage

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'Dang, that was fun'!

2017 Blissed Lenni and loving it!