Monofilament Thread

I used it on T-shirt quilts because it was recommended by (name removed). I thought it looked great, doesn't compete with the different colors of the ink on the shirts. No complaints from customers either. Now I've got a customer who wants me to use it on regular pieced quilts. She doesn't want the thread to show. I don't understand, but it's her quilt.

bEth

I tried mono on a t-shirt quilt too and had a terrible time with tension. I have used it on applique on regurlar quilts with no problems. T-shirt quilts are just different in texture I guess. Anyway, like Grammie Tammie said, I use regular thread that compliments the fabric in the quilt and all of my customers so far have been satisfied, and I have made and quilted a lot of t-shirt quilts.

Tammie: I heard of someone else using it and thought it might be a good choice. The quilt already has lots of colors. My second choice was Superior Bottom Line because it really sinks in and the color doesn't show much. I want the t-shirts to pop and not the quilting so much.

As good as Monofilament Thread is from Superior Threads, I don't really agree with it being a good choice for a T-Shirt Quilt....unless you have an extremely thin batting and have constructed the quilt out of just cottons, these quilts get really really heavy when washing and the Mono threads seem to break worst than regular poly threads.

All the T-Shirt quilts that I have done have been put together with flannel sashings and flannel backings and they literally weigh a ton when wet even with a thin cotton batting. I've had two that I did an all over meander for the same customer and I have no idea how she washed it, but the threads popped in the wash. I will admit it wasn't Superior Threads that I used, but it was a good quality mono.

Just my opinion....I wouldn't use it again...to much work to fix.

Guest Linda S

I use Superior MonoPoly frequently and I love it. I have no problems with breakage and I generally use a 16 needle.

Linda

hi,

im not a long arm quilter, yet, but i do alot of quilting with my home machine and would suggest that if you need to use clear thread, only use the polyester ones, not the nylon. the nylon are almost impossible to wind on the bobbin and unpick very easily because they are hard to lock-stitch.

malke

I took a class on making t-shirt quilts, and the instructor highly recommended using a polyester monofilament thread. I used the monofilament from Joann's in the top and Bottom Line in the bobbin and didn't have any problems. I used the regular needle in my Millenium.

Good luck!

Julia

Thanks for all of your help. I gave up as the thread was breaking. It was to stressful working on t-shirts that had been collected for a lifetime that I knew I couldn't replace. I've switched to Superior Bottom Line as I'm used to it. Thanks again for the help.

Hi Everyone!

I couldn't resist chiming in about invisible thread--mainly the breaking issue. Everyone has different opinions about when and where to use it, so I'm not debating that part. However, I will share these tips for using it:

[*] When the invisible thread (nylon or polyester) is used in the top, loosen the top tension considerably. (It's not unusual Pull the thread through the eye of the needle and release it. If it is tightly kinked, loosen the tension some more. You want the top thread to behave like normal thread, and not stretch as it passes through the need.e.

[*] For invisible thread in the bobbin, you'll also have to adjust the bobbin case tension. Pull on the inviisible thread as it exits the bobbin case and release it. Again, look for a "Slinky effect" and loosen the tension until the invisible thread behaves like "normal" thread.

[*] If you are using invisible in the top only, be sure to also loosen the bobbin thread tension as well. The top thread must have the strength to pull the bottom into the batting layer, and if the bobbin is set for normal top thread, it will undoubtedly break the invisible thread.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Dawn

Hi,

About the MonoPoly thread. If you are using a small spool, remember that it's probably not cross-wound like our large cones that sit on the spindle. They thread up and away from the cone to the machine. You need to position a regular small spool of thread on a horizontal thread holder and let it come off the spool in that direction. Hope that helps.

~~ Eva

• 2 years later...

Spam is everywhere, isn't it ????

I like to use Monopoly thread for t-shirt quilts because it doesn't take away from the pattern on the t-shirts. I use regular prewound Bottom Line bobbins. I am about ready to quilt one I just finished for a nephew. But reading about the threads breaking during washings has been rethinking this. My nephew plans to take his quilt to college and you know how it will get washed. There are so many different colors that I'm not sure what color thread to us if not the monopoly.

Linda,

I've done several t-shirt quilts, using Bottom Line in either white, light grey or light yellow, depending on the colors of the t-shirts and the sashing between them. The thread just disappears into the jersey.

The t-shirts are all different colors.........orange, green, black, yellow, purple, red............sashings are black. Any suggestions? I could do each block with a Bottom Line thread that blends and then switch to black thread for the sashings. Do you all do a meandering pattern, stitch in the ditch or ???

I've done some with an allover meander, but most are done with an SID around the t-shirt block, then meander within the block. It would be entirely appropriate to SID and meander in a thread that blends with the t-shirt, then put something in the sashing in black. Or you can use a contrasting thread and do something stunning there. How wide is your sashing?

I used Superior Monopoly thread in a T-shirt quilt that the colors were too wild and I wanted texture to show and the T-shirts, but not the thread. I adjusted the tension, went a bit slower than I normally would and it turned out great! Even through thick rubbery t-shirts - I love my APQS Millie!! Any questions please let me know!

Roseann M. Noll

12 Circle View Drive

Elysburg, PA 17824

www.phoenixrosequilts.com

I really like Monopoly thread for SID, but would not use it for anything else. Personally I think it looks like plastic and cheepens the look of a quilt when used other than to hide in the ditch. There are such pretty threads out there that I can't make myself use monopoly thread for stitching that will show.

Archived