Learning Curve when moving up in machines

Spursel

First of all thanks to all who share on this forum.  I am learning a lot!

i currently have a midarm with a nine inch throat and I am getting frustrated with the lack of space.  I have limited funds, so I have to wait a bit before upgrading.  Is the practice in free motion I am getting on my small setup going to help me on a larger setup, or am I wasting my time building skills that won't transfer?

IMG_1337.JPG

Practice is never wasted! I just recently upgraded and I feel like everything I already knew was a great asset to me. Since I knew the basics all I had to learn was the feel of the machine. There is still a learning curve, I even posted about it being a bit harder than I expected. But I think it would have been waaaaaay harder if I hadn't already of had longarm experience.  I don't do a lot of free motion but I am sure all the muscle memory you are gaining now will stand you in good stead later. So keep practicing!

IMHO or experience, I also had a mid-arm for about five years before I got "Mr Lenni", the skills do transfer---what was wasted was the five years I could have enjoyed a longarm, I just didn't know what I was missing. Anyway I would encourage you to re-think your plan. Mid-arms have their place but are extremely limiting in their capabilities and you will be a much better quilter on a longarm then on a mid-arm.  My two-cents.

• 1 month later...

I am totally loving my new to me Lenni.  My free motion is way better than my pantos, probably because I had the practice on the midarm.  Had to work through a few issues...just stupid things like the cord getting hung up.  (Moral of story...don't mount your cord above your machine thinking that it will make it easier to sweep under it.). Thanks to all for the advice and the help.  Practice quilt (panto) below.  It is only fit for my son's dog, Moxie.

IMG_1398.JPG

Congratulations on your new to you Lenni! I have a Millie and do free motion quilting.  I have not quilted a quilt using a panto yet. With my old machine I had so many problems with thread breakage I didn't dare do a panto. Now I need to try one. 

Deb.

Congratulations on your new to you Lenni, you will have so much fun! And, this forum is a great resource, rich with information.  If I have an "issue", I just come to this forum and do a search for my question.  Yesterday, I was having problems with a tee shirt quilt--my forum search suggested a few things, among them-maybe a larger needle. (Ya think, I can hear it from all the experienced quilters) and viola-problem solved. So thanks for all the quilters who posted not only the questions but those who take the time to post their solutions and opinions as well.

Sharon

Sharon, I doubt anyone is going "Ya think" over you possibly needing a larger needle for your tee shirt quilt.  We all started not knowing a lot.  One of the things I really appreciate about this forum is the generosity and understanding of the experienced people toward the newer quilters.  I have learned a lot here, and know I still have a lot to learn!

Archived