I cleaned my studio

3 hours ago, quilterkp said:

I think that the person that disagrees with getting rid of the carpet needs to be the person that cleans the thread out of the vacuum or carpet sweeper.  :-)    Permanently, until other flooring is put down.

That could work. I will try it.

4 hours ago, quilterkp said:

I think that the person that disagrees with getting rid of the carpet needs to be the person that cleans the thread out of the vacuum or carpet sweeper.  :-)    Permanently, until other flooring is put down.

That is the most excellent suggestion ever. 

I feel your pain.  Long hair has done the same thing to my vacuums for years, and even though our daughters are grown and not living at home, my hair is still long.

Don't remember where I heard this tip, but I keep a toilet brush (never used in a toilet, in case you're wondering!) to swipe up threads from my carpeted floor.  IKEA sells them for 99 cents.  The bristles grab thread quite well.  Of course, I do not have shag carpeting, which might tangle in the bristles.  Ugh!

I don't really have a choice in the matter. The carpet is there, the room is suppose to be a family room. I will take pictures. If you have never been in my studio, there is a huge bar that takes up 2 whole walls. I store the kids toys behind it, and they play down there too, so I have to keep the carpet. If I ever convince DH that we do not party, and we do not need the bar....and that when we sell the house, it would sell better without it, he might change out the floor. Right now my bigger problem is the lights. They are florescent lights in a drop ceiling and they will not stay on. He replaced the balists a while back, but there is a problem again. He said he will replace the whole thing and put in a different lighting system, but I think that will probably be when hell freezes over :D

I've had the same happen to me! I have carpet tiles on cement floors in my studio and when I need to vacuum I first use the vacuum head for hardwood floors and this picks up most of the threads and then I go over with the power head to get the dust and lint, etc. A bit of a pain but I find the cushioning of the tiles easier on my feet and back. 

11 hours ago, Cagey said:

Fly free????

Yes, my stepson works for SW. One of the perks for SW employees is tickets for the parents. His mom said she could not think of any place to go. WHAT?! So I got her ticket. That worked well for us. So my husband and I can fly on SW for free. I will say, I have helped raise my stepson from the age of 12, since my husband had custody of his 2 boys when we got married. I earned this perk ;)

11 hours ago, Quilta93 said:

Must be nice.  My play room is a little crowded, but you're welcome to come check it out. 

Deb.

I have plans to come your way to vacation. When or if we ever do, I will let you know. Maybe I can meet you. No surprises :)

7 hours ago, SWall said:

I've had the same happen to me! I have carpet tiles on cement floors in my studio and when I need to vacuum I first use the vacuum head for hardwood floors and this picks up most of the threads and then I go over with the power head to get the dust and lint, etc. A bit of a pain but I find the cushioning of the tiles easier on my feet and back. 

I have a "mop" that has a cardboard pad that attaches to the mop handle. The cardboard pad is extremely sticky, and I run it over the floor to pick up all those threads. I am out of those pads and need to see if they still sell these pads for the mop. I can't even remember the name. I have heard that the toilet brush works well, so maybe I will just get one for my studio and use that before I vacuum.

Carpet, yuck!!! I knew your pain.    I don't know how big your quilting area is but could you cover that area with a rubber mat or the interlocking ones like you get for kids rooms?  I have the large interlock rubber squares in my basement studio.  Works good on my concrete floors.  

Mary Beth, you are welcome to come play in my studio or play on the Great Lakes and Canadian border!!!

No easy answers when the longarm is in a multi purpose area.  Carpet cushions the feet and legs but is hard to clean. Hardwood floors clean easy but hard on the feet and legs. I guess unless we all get some fairy dust and float around our machines, we have to deal with one or the other. I have hardwood in the sewing room, low pile carper under the Lenni.....don't really like either one so how's that for being up the creek? :P

Archived