Ida

My old hopping foot (for my 2011 Freedom) wore out, meaning the screw holes got stripped to the point where the foot would jiggle and wobble as I quilted.  If I needed to use a ruler, the ruler would push the foot over to almost under the needle.  I had already bought the kit of hopping feet, so I tried a couple of those, and I loved them. But, I really wanted my regular hopping foot for using rulers.  So, I bought a new one, along with the shank to screw it into.  The new hopping foot was shaped different from my old one, and I was worried it might not "agree" with the old shank.  The new shank is longer than the old shank.  My biggest issue is with getting that screw that holds the shank in place to move at all.  If you look at the attached picture, you'll see the hole where your screwdriver is supposed to go into the machine head (on the right as I face it).  The screw in the picture is on the right with me looking dead center into the hole, meaning my screwdriver will need to be at an angle to loosen the screw.  

Oh my gosh!  I can't tell you how hard I worked to get that screw to move!  I decided I needed to take both of the side covers off the machine head in order to better reach that screw.  In the process, I messed up the tension spring.  One of the reasons I am telling you this is to forewarn you to have as many spare parts as you can on hand.  They don't cost much at all ahead of time, and you will be so happy that you did when something goes awry.  Anyhow, after I got both covers off, I tried to get that screw to move, but it would not budge at all.  I sprayed it with some WD-40, still nothing.  So, I let that sit awhile and went to work taking apart the tension spring and putting a new spring in and then went back to work on that screw.  Still nothing.  I worked and worked and worked and finally got it to move.  Yay!  The old shank moved.  

I have a couple of questions regarding the shank and the screw.  At first I tried to replace the old shank with the new, but I could not figure out how to get the old one out and the new one in. Even with the plate above the bobbin basket removed, the bobbin basket and the parts around it are in the way of the shank.  I can't take it out from above, because another part is in the way up in the machine head.  So, how on earth do you replace the shank?  

I decided to leave the old shank in place and just attach the new foot. It is shorter than the old foot, so the shank sits lower in the "thingy" that holds the shank in place...where that screw lives...  If I am able to use the old shank without it falling out, I will probably need to adjust the hopping foot height when I swap out hopping feet. I am worried about getting that screw to move again and also being able to access it.  Does anyone have a trick for keeping it "move-able" and also for accessing it at an angle without having to remove the metal side (cover) of the machine head?  

Thank you for your help!

IMG_0531.JPG

Ida:  Since you "broke" the hopping foot clamp screw loose (broke is the term used in mechanics for applying enough torque to make a screw or bolt or nut turn), loosening it again should not be too difficult.  When you put everything back together make sure you tighten it significantly so the hopping foot shaft does not shift position with use.  BTW, you should rarely have to make any adjustment to the hopping foot shaft, so don't worry about accessing it easily.  Good luck.  Jim 

Ida 

I'm surprised you didn't get instructions with your new hopping foot assembly.  APQS is usually pretty good at that.  If I remember correctly you will have to remove the hook as well to change the hopping foot shaft.  The timing is the hardest part of the job if you haven't done it before so save the job for a day when you have lots of time.  The first time I had to time the machine it took a few tries to get it right.

Nigel

Thank you both!  Jim, I was worried I'd have to make adjustments because the new hopping foot is not as long as the old one.  It seems like it's the same length as the feet in the kit, so hopefully it won't be a problem.

Nigel, no, there weren't any instructions.  BUT, I have the maintenance manual and it says how to adjust the hopping foot in there.  It just doesn't say how to remove it to replace it with a new one.  And, I was afraid I'd have to remove the hook.  :wacko:  Yes, I've timed it before, but it does take time for me to get it right.  I'm blind in one eye, so it's hard for me to see specifics at an angle.  I keep that jeweler's loupe on hand at all times, and hope and pray that I don't have to mess with the timing.  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back to taking my machine apart so I can get the new hopping foot bar put in there.  I can use the old bar, but if you look at the picture of where the top of that bar sits, it is below the top of the thingy that holds it straight up.  The new bar that goes with the new hopping foot is longer, so it should come up to the top of that "thingy".  The bar, itself, is too long for me to remove it without taking the machine apart.  So, I removed the hook assembly, and I still can't remove the old hopping foot bar (see picture of bottom), due to parts being in the way.  What do I need to do now in order to replace the old hopping foot bar with the new one?  

top of hopping foot bar.jpg

bottom of hopping bar.jpg

You shaft is different from mine so I don't know can you rotate the shaft 90 degrees and have the cutout on the shaft slide beside the hook shaft?  From looking at your picture I suspect you may have to loosen the hook shaft collar and push the shaft back a little.  Snug the collar screw back up after you push the shaft in so it doesn't get pushed too far by accident.  After you get the hopping foot shaft in you can pull the hook shaft forward by the collar, make sure you have a hold of the shaft when you loosen and slide the collar back into place.  Then tighten everything up reinstall the hook and you should be good to go.  

Maybe someone else will see an easier method to get there.

Nigel

Hi, Call Apqs, I've done this and thought it was scary. You have to loosen the collar on the shaft, shove the shaft back and don't turn ANYTHING because the teeth have to line back up when you move that shaft forward again. Remove the hopping foot and then move the shaft forward and tighten the collar back up.

Definitely call APQS first before doing this.

Michele

Hi all!  I am DONE!  I DID contact the APQS service department, and boy am I glad I did!  I emailed them at the end of the day yesterday and Angie emailed me back first thing this morning with a PDF booklet on how to do this.  It involves only taking apart the top of the machine, not the hook assembly, etc.  I am so proud of myself, though, because I was able to take the machine apart and put it back together with the help of the instructions and without another person here to help.  I've been wanting to move the needle bar and double check the timing, so having the hook assembly removed forced me to work on the timing, and part of removing and putting in the new hopping foot bar was moving the needle bar gears out of the way.  THANK YOU, ANGIE BOES at APQS Service!!!

Acrobat:  (open said pdf document then)  Save As,  Image,  JPEG

Preview:  (open said pdf document in the app)   File,  Export,  (down at bottom of window) Format,  change from PDF to JPEG or JPG

If that does not work, you can PM the document, and I will convert it for you.

Cagey

Archived