Questions on Quilt Backing

I just finished a class on making a machine embroidered quilt top - the top is complete.  The quilt is to be quilted using machine embroidery also - placement techniques, etc.   I usually quilt with my longarm however I wanted to learn more about placing designs centered in blocks, etc. so will follow the class instructions.   The recommendation is to make the quilt back using 3 pieces, center with two sides.   I'm thinking about just doing a center seam on the backing and go with that.   Is there any real reason to do a three piece backing?

Most everyone in class will be pinning their quilts.   I'd like to load mine on the longarm and either pin there or just baste the top, batting and backing together so I can complete the quilting with the embroidered designs on my other machine.   I have never basted a top on the longarm before  so would I baste diagonally across the quilt,  vertically or horizontally and how far apart should they be?   Will the stitching be easy to remove when I've finished the embroidered quilt designs or would pinning be better?

Thanks for any feedback as I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.

I wonder if they want three pieces for the back because they have it figured so the embroidered designs miss the seams that way. Basting it on the longarm will be much easier than pinning. There are several methods, but use a thicker and slippery thread (like a poly) in a contrasting color. I'd remove the stitches after hooping but before embroidering. The stitches will remove very easily. Here's my map for basting---a fake grid with lines about four inches apart. This allows you to avoid long verticals. Don't plan to baste on the diagonal. 

basting1.jpg

Thanks so much for the pattern grid for basting - I'll give that a try with your thread recommendation.  In looking at the quilt a center seam will miss any seams however it will go down the middle of the 6 inch center block embroidery on the front.  The instructions call for no quilting in the embroidery blocks which are 6 inches square.   Seems like a lot of space with no quilting or stitch in the ditch around them.   The embroidered blocks are surrounded on each corner by 1/4 drunkard paths with two points meeting on each corner - guess that's why no stitch in the ditch because the full block would be the embroidery plus the drunkard paths.   

Long verticals would require rolling the quilt before it is stabilized in all areas of the rolled fabric.  Exactly what you're trying to avoid by basting in the first place.

I have a question about the embroidery.  I've quilted a lot of embroidered pattern quilts, but the embroidery was always done before the quilt sandwich was put together.  I would think that the bobbin side of the embroidery might be unsightly on the back of the quilt.  Are you sure you want to do it this way?  Jim

Yes, my embroidered blocks are completed already on the top and I'm planning on basting the top, batting and backing together on my longarm then removing it to complete the embroidered quilt designs in the blank spaces.  I wasn't clear that these last embroidered areas are embroidered quilt designs which will show on the top and back - just as if they were quilted on the longarm.  It's a technique to learn how to place designs centered in the open areas of the quilt.   Hope this clears it up.   Thanks!

In answer to your question Jim, I have embroidered the blocks of a quilt once it was 'sandwiched' and it turned out beautifully.  I think the end result depends a lot on what the embroidery design is i.e. a single, or double running stitch versus a filled design.

Jean

Archived