Quilting by machine

I have not done very many quilts, about 4 in about 4 years and six lap size ones. That's a lot ha ha. I'm just now in the middle of machine quilting a scrappy strip throw size and machine sewing down each side of each strip. Question do I need to lower the feed dogs doing this? I know for free motion they need to be lowered. Nothing seems  to make material/ batting go through easy when sewing the sandwich. I end up pulling the material through the machine at the top of the quilt.

Angi

Hi Angi

I'll try to answer your question for you.  I assume since you have feed dogs that you are using your regular sewing machine and that you are sewing straight lines down and perhaps across the quilt.  Are you using a walking foot?  A walking foot will pull your quilt backing and top along together.  And no you wouldn't lower the feed dogs for if you are using a walking foot.  Now as you said for free motion you would lower the feed dogs and not use the walking foot.  You can get a generic walking foot pretty cheap online.

Hope this is what you are asking.

I've done a lot of straight line quilting on my domestic sewing machine (small jobs).  Like Debbie, any time I was doing straight lines I used my walking foot (feed dogs up).  I never had to adjust the tension either.

Duh, I forgot to say that its a domestic machine Bernia 930, noticed Debbie has used one, so its  better  to change my ordinary foot to a walking foot and I shouldn't have to lower the feed dogs? Is a darning foot (that's the foot that has a wee hole that needle goes through, most ladies will know my description of this foot, I hope).

Thank you for your replies.

Angi

Archived