HELP! Thread breakage ruining my quilt.

I have spent days doing all the stitching around the applique and the SID on a pretty quilt I spent weeks making.  Finally got to the FUN part using 7 spools of Rainbow Variegated thread.  All I have done for the last three hours is pick out every single bit of it because it keeps on breaking!!!!  No burrs.  Remember I finished all the SID and outline stitching without a single break, BUT I was using regular thread for that (not variegated and not Rainbow).

I have the bobbin so loose it drops to the floor.  The tension is completely loose on top and I am not using the hook.  I've tried using and not using it.  Breaks faster if in it, which means it breaks after 5 stitches instead of 10.  )-:  Of course, it is Saturday, so I can't call anyone.  I read all the APQS tips.  Turned the eyes around.  Changed the needle twice.  Don't have another spool of the same color thread.  The entire quilt is BATIKS.  Does anyone know how to get this thread to behave?  

TIA, 

Try stitching with another thread on some batik scraps.  If there's no breakage then it's the thread.  I personally don't have issues with thread breaking when I quilt batiks instead of regular quilting cottons.  I know it's annoying dealing with thread breaks. 

Joy;

When I first got my George, I had all kinds of issues with thread breaks (top thread).  APQS told me to try running the thread through only 2 holes in the thread bar by the needle.  That worked for me.  Hopefully it will help you.  Jamie Wallen has a YouTube video, where he discusses that every hole adds some 20 pounds of thread tension.  If you have the tensioner loose, then that is the only way I know of decreasing the top tension.

Here are some forum threads that may help;  http://forum.apqs.com/topic/37335-i-really-need-your-help-top-thread-breaking/#comment-510199

http://forum.apqs.com/topic/36600-top-thread-breaking/#comment-502856  Rita lives on with her knowledge and solutions.

Cagey

Joy;

I am glad things worked out for you.  If you don't have one, get a small notebook and write down the thread used and how you ran the thread.  This way you can repeat your results without issue, by referencing your notes in the future.  Also, record the fabric/batting, so you have a good idea how to handle them if it is not your normal configuration.  It is amazing how quickly we forget the details after a few weeks of not doing things.

Cagey

On 7/23/2017 at 8:37 AM, FrammaJoy said:

OKAY!  Thank you all so very much.  

I tightened the top tension.

Then I unthreaded the thread path that had thread in all three holes above tension disk.  I put thread straight down through only one hole.  WALAH!!!!  No break this time. 

I have found that if the thread "bounces" in the tension spring/knob as you pull on it (testing the tension - while threaded through the needle) that the "bouncing" actually causes issues. So, you should tighten until the bouncing on tension spring stops and the spring stays somewhere between 7:00 and 8:00 on the clock as you pull the thread to test the tension. That seems to work for me!   I usually thread through the top and the bottom tension loops. In general, over the years, I've discovered that "TOP THREAD NOT TIGHTENED ENOUGH" is about 90% of the cause of thread issues. 

Joy;

I must ask, what is this "Rolodex" you speak of?  

I asked my daughters about it, and they have no clue what it is or does.  When I spoke about the Palm Pilot I used to have they looked at me like I had a third eye.  We are living history courses to them, it makes me laugh.

Have a great day

Cagey

How funny!  A Rolodex is a container that you can turn that holds 2 1/2" x 4" cards to put your names and addresses on.  I'm sure most people use their phones now, but I love mine because I can draw pictures on it of quilt designs.  I'll show it in my next VLOG on You Tube.  Just search "Joy Bernhardt" if interested, but the Rolodex won't be up for a few days.

Rolodex- https://www.staples.ca/rolodex/directory_rolodex_20051_1_20001?akamai-feo=off

Google will give you more results.  It's a great idea for filing and retrieving notes and I just might have to pick one of those up. I'm sure if you keep your eyes open, you might find a used one somewhere.  We used them in the office for keeping contact info, before the days of everything being on your smartphone or computer!  But I can see where this would be a great way to keep your little notes for quilting tips, as it's always the retrieval issue after you write it down!  Great idea Joy!

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email a few days ago, after reading this thread, and since I just saw it pop up again will mention that the seller (Red Rock Threads, in NV) said that the Rainbow Threads are being discontinued.  Perhaps it's the thread and NOT the machine!  When a line is completely scrapped, to me it means it's not doing well on the market.  Guessing from the problems listed here, think how many others have problems!   They are directing people to their Fantistico line.

Archived