Making Piano Key Border & Best Quilt Piecing Book

First, I would like a make a piano key border using 12 - 2 and a half inch strips.  My question is, what the most accurate methods of making the piano keys?  My thought is to sew the 42-inch long strips all together and then cut the desired width strips from the joined pieces?  I am guessing this would give me the straightest border than cutting the strips to the desired length and then sewing them all together.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I would like to know what is your "go to" quilt book that you reference the most when you are piecing quilts.  One of my guild members recently suggested Sharyn Craig's "Great Sets: 7 Roadmaps to Spectacular Quilts".  She says she references it all the time, as it describes how to incorporate those different sized orphan quilt blocks into a finished quilt.  The back of the book has all the math calculated out for you, so you do not have to be a math genius to put the blocks together.  So I would like to know what one book you would buy if you could only have a one book library?

Cagey  

To make the piano key border I would probably sew half strips together. It's easier for me to keep my seam more consistent with the half strip than it is the full width strips. Also if you are doing a random color look you would have more variations with the half strips. As for the one book, I really can't point to just one. I have a bunch of books. LOL.......they are like Lays potato chips for me. 

Cagey,   I, too, have used the strips and then cut the sewn together ones.  However, when sewing the strips, you have to alternate  the way you sew down the strips.  If you just keep adding a new one, it will (for some strange reason) get wonky.  It just won't stay straight.  So flip the strips and sew from the other side.  (I heard one explanation that when the fabric is pulled through the machine by the feed dogs there is a slight pull to the left, almost unnoticeable, unless your putting multiple strips like this together.)  They will then 'bow' on you if you keep them the same.  So, when doing it, I've just flipped and haven't had a problem!  

For accuracy and stability, foundation-piece a piano key border. Use thin muslin for the foundation, mark two-inch increments and a quarter-inch outside edge (like with paper piecing) with a blue wash-away marker, and add your strips, sewing on the line. Be sure the outside quarter inch is covered. Trim the edge on the line when your strip is dne. The lining fabric will stabilize the border. This can also be done with paper, removing it after stitching. 

Glaze;

Thank you for the input.  While I like books, I do not want a library full of them.  Thus I am looking for that go to book, that a quilter finds themselves referring to over and over again during their years of quilting.

LASLady;

Thank you for sharing.  I was considering using the walking foot, and reversing the direction of piecing, like I was taught to do when SID to stabilize my quilt sandwiches.

Linda;

Just so I understand correctly.  After I stitch my first two strips together, do I measure two inches from the sew line to ensure I have the exact 2 inch spacing when I sew my next strip on?  I am not a paper piecer, but am willing to try the method it if both gives me nice equal spaced keys and helps stabilize the quilt.  Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge.

Cagey

Hi Cagey, I would go to the library or book store planning to spend an afternoon and peruse their entire selection of quilt books.  Maybe more than one store, afternoon.  That would give you some idea as to what you need/want.  After narrowing your search look online for used books, Thrift Books and EBay are great sources. Good luck in your search. I don't have one to recommend, I am assuming you are looking for a technique book and there are many out there.  Sharon

Sharon;

Yes, I already purchased Sharyn Craig's "Great Sets".  I was wondering what the quilters on this forum believe is the one quilting book that they would suggest every quilter own.  The lady in my guild suggested "Great Sets" for the reasons I shared earlier.  After starting reading the book, I believe it will help me use some of the orphan blocks that I have found at my guilds recycle table.  The blocks always look so nice laying on the table, when you only have seconds to scarf them up, before someone else grabs them.  When you get home, you discover just how distorted they truly are, and then you understand why they were on the table in the first place.  I'm sure they are the ugly duckling ready to be used in a wonderful family quilt.  Now with Sharyn's book, I will know how to put them and some of my own to good use to make a nice snuggly quilt for family use.   

If you were to ask me what book would I suggest for quilting feathers?  I would tell you it is not a book but a DVD.  The two DVD set of Kimmy Brunner's "Twirly Whirly Feathers".  I believe Kimmy's instructions video is best, as she goes into how to practice draw the feathers, and then she shows you how to fill all the empty space with feathers, verses simply showing your one or two quilt outs of the design.  For me it is filling the funky weird shaped areas with any motif that is the difficult part of quilting.   

Thank you for your suggestions.  Though I will ask you again....what is the one quilt book in your library that you repeatedly re-read to help you in your quilting art?

Cagey   

Cagey, with piecing it seams like I just know what to do BUT I am relatively new to the art of quilting.  I am trying really hard to do more than a meander panto. Yes, I used a panto to do a simple meander--for YEARS on a mid arm, and yes it did permanently attach a top to the bottom with batting in the middle, thus a quilt.   But, now I find I want to do more. Soooo I have found Pam Clarkes Designs with Lines books and stencils to be the MOST helpful so far. But I am always open to everyone's suggestions

Sharon

My machine quilting library has evolved as I discovered different quilters.  My very beginning I invested in Pam Clark's, then it was Diane Gaudyinski's, then Angela Walters, then Judi Madsen's.  There were a few others peppered in here and there.  Lori Kennedy from the Inbox Jaunt Blog is another great resource and she has a book now and Craftsy class.  I think where you are in your quilting journey and where you want to go is the big influence on what you want to be investing in for quilting resources in all aspects of quilting.  Whose style you like and want to emulate.  I still refer to several of the aforementioned quilters' books for inspiration and technical advice and take classes as they become available from other, more experienced quilters as they become available or pertinent to my journey.  So the long and short answer and not necessarily helpful one, is it depends on where you want to go with your quilting, which resource will be most helpful to you :)

Archived