In Harvey's path

I live between Houston and Galveston....lots of rain at this moment and some wind but nothing major...but it's suppose to linger for days.  Roads around Houston flood if it even clouds up heavy so traveling is going to be the pits for the weekend.  Got two quilts I need to quilt so won't get bored unless power goes out..but I have gas stored for generator and that should run my machine.

Update 15 minutes later:  Now we are getting major rain and increased wind.  Rain coming down in sheets...hope my back patio doesn't back up and lets the water run into my living room.

Hope all goes well for you folks down there in the path....up here in Minnesota it is raining and glooming and supposed to continue to rain off and on for at least a week....but nothing like you are getting down there.....making slow progress on that rotator cuff rehab...lots of pain last night....better this morning....I have taken two quilting projects to piece out and really hope I can at least do that soon.....take care everyone....Lin

2 hours ago, dbams said:

Amen to that, Judy.  I was in Houston last weekend, helping my aunt move from Tyler.  Hard to believe the difference there now.

How much impact will you get in your area?

Weather reports say to expect 4 inches. Always need rain at the ranch. We don't need the wind etc though. 

First time ever we have ever had water back up on our street in front of our house.  Actually have water beginning to come up our drive just a little but not anywhere near our house yet.  We have gotten between 20" - 25" of rain in the last 24 hours according to weather channel and 16" of those inches within the last 12 hours with more heavy rain expected through Tuesday.  We still have power but neighbors across the street have no power...one neighbor running generator...hope others have generators.  The main street that comes into our sub division always floods easily so if we have water this far up our street then those that live along the main street will have water in their house.  So sad.

Went outside to take a look and saw where water came up to back tire of wife's truck....that's still a ways from house but not that far away.

Heidi....I don't allow snakes on our street....I DON'T LIKE SNAKES.

5 hours ago, MaryQuiltsTx said:

David, how did y'all get by? Hope everything's okay.

Mary, thanks for asking.  My wife and I came through it with no damage other than a spot on my roof started leaking.  I'll fix that once we are sure there is going to be no more rain.  Others on my street had some flooding and lost their carpet but nothing like the surrounding areas of Houston and such.  So much loss and so much pain.

I truly can't imagine what it's like to wake up one morning and have absolutely nothing other than the clothes on your back.  But it's been wonderful to see how everybody has pulled together to help with rescues, food, clothes and donations.  You really have to be from this area and know the areas the news media are talking about for it to really hit home.

It will be months if not years for this area and all the people to recover BUT (Hope it's not bragging) this is Texas.....we will overcome....

I want to thank all of the other cities and states that have helped so much with rescue and I thank each of you for your prayers....please don't stop praying for everybody here....going to be a long road to recovery.

David, I am glad y'all are alright. Having been to Houston numerous times, to see the pictures, my goodness, it looks like an alien landscape. I have some other friends therewho fared pretty well, and I have some that lost it all. We are still waiting on details as to how they are. My heart goes out to all.

David,

You are right.  Texas will overcome!  I am a Katrina survivor, having had 3 ft. of water on the second floor of my home and flooding again 2 weeks later with Rita.  We lost everything we owned and our business as well.  I know that is is very hard for everyone that is going through this, but they will get through it.

I remember doing nothing but crying and watching the news for any glimpse of my community.  The only coverage seemed to be of the 9th Ward in New Orleans.  My entire community of St. Bernard Parish was totally destroyed, every building, home, church, school, etc. was totally under water.  

Two weeks after the storm I was sent to Pennsylvania for my job and wasn't able to see my home until 2 months later.  My husband, daughter and son-in-law were able to salvage some things but not much, everything was pretty much trash, but it was my stuff.  I was OK with it as long as it was still in my house.  I went to my house one day after work to look around to see if there was anything else I could salvage and found that the volunteers had come and gutted my house.  I stood outside my house and sobbed.  I called my husband and was so upset I couldn't speak.  While everything was in the house, it was still my stuff, but seeing it piled outside for the trash collector I realized it was all trash.  I know, funny how our minds think.  As I was telling this story to my brother and crying about my stuff, he put everything into prospective for me, as he had lost a child many years before Katrina, he said, "Minnie, it's just stuff!".  I realized then that no one in my family died in this storm and he was right, it was just stuff and I could always get more stuff.  I never cried another tear about my stuff!  

So yes, Texans will cry about their stuff, rejoice for lives not lost, fight with the insurance companies and FEMA, rebuild and move on.  

Same thing is happening here. Most of the news is about Houston, but the other smaller towns, where it came ashore, are not talked about much.  Everyone was equally affected so I wish the coverage was a bit more equal. I hate to think the other folks feel left out or forgotten on top of everything they endured.

On 9/5/2017 at 1:44 PM, MaryQuiltsTx said:

Same thing is happening here. Most of the news is about Houston, but the other smaller towns, where it came ashore, are not talked about much.  Everyone was equally affected so I wish the coverage was a bit more equal. I hate to think the other folks feel left out or forgotten on top of everything they endured.

Mary, I agree.  Personally I think the reason for the news reporting about Houston all the time is because the population is so dense in this area.  They mentioned Friendswood, Kingwood, and Pearland where much of the water flooded so bad and all of these are near me.  I have a feeling that those who lost everything have much more to be worried about then whether the news media covered their area.

6 hours ago, mlsa3 said:

Mary, I agree.  Personally I think the reason for the news reporting about Houston all the time is because the population is so dense in this area.  They mentioned Friendswood, Kingwood, and Pearland where much of the water flooded so bad and all of these are near me.  I have a feeling that those who lost everything have much more to be worried about then whether the news media covered their area.

Yes, unfortunately they do have lots to worry about. I had just read Lynn1234's post and felt sad that folks felt left out. And I have read some accounts from Harvey where folks are feeling forgotten by the government. They aren't seeing much aid, water, food etc coming their way. There's just such widespread destruction. Must be hard to keep the faith that everything will work out. My heart goes out to them. And now another hurricane about to hit. So scary.

Archived