Bobbin runs HOT! Top Stitch irregular

Can anyone explain why my bobbin would be running HOT? I'm really not quilting that fast. :lol: 

I've had a few thread breaks up top (but that may be because it jumped out of a pigtail). I use magnaglide bobbins, Glide on top, and when I put my hand on the bobbin to check thread, it almost burns my fingers! This happened last quilt as well.

I've oiled, cleaned lint, rethreaded.....What is happening?!!

Anne

Sorry forgot to say I use a 2013 MIllie.

Here is a link for using magna glide bobbins, not sure if it will help you; http://forum.apqs.com/topic/31067-magna-glide-bobbintowa-gauge/

Did you remove the bobbin tension spring?  That may be the issue.  Also, have you looked inside the hook assembly where you place the bobbin to make sure there are not thread or lint that might be binding the bobbin when it spins?  Other than that, I am not help.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Thanks, Cagey! I've used Magnetic bobbins for years and never had a problem. Love them. I've taken off the hook finger and thoroughly cleaned around the bobbin case, cant see anything that would cause a problem. The top thread seems to have more tension on it. I've checked thread path, cleaned tension discs, checked piggies for snags...

Can anyone help with this picture!!? I'm frantic halfway through a wedding quilt and, as well as bobbin area running hot after steady quilting, I'm getting irregular stitch length (with stitch regulator on) and the path is 'wobbling' not straight, particularly when pushing away from me.

Anne

millietantrum 1.jpg

Anne, I don't see that you've changed your needle.  Have you tried that?  Not sure why that could help, but it may be worth a try. 

Definitely put in a call to service this morning, and see what they say.  Something is not right, and they are diagnostic gurus.

Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Anne:  Are you sure your thread is properly routed through the tension assembly?  Is the thread properly seated in the take-up spring?  It doesn't look like you're getting proper tension.  One other thing.  If you're using a ruler, and you push down too hard on it, your tension will be compromised.  Jim

Thanks Betsy and Jim,

I did put a new needle in, but I did the same for the previous quilt which also ran hot bobbin.

Jim, no ruler on this one. I got slightly better tension with another cleanout of discs, smoothing the spring with emery and fiddling the tension, and I managed to finish the loaded quilt with minor back loopies. :blink:  There does seem to be friction causing heat but can this also be from top tension issues? I've never taken the hook assembly off the rotating shaft and I've shied away from timing.

The previous quilt I was determined to use King Tut on top for a thicker thread (first time in years) and I did manage to set good tensions on that one - but that was first time I noted hot bobbin. Back to Glide and reset every thing for #2 but hot fingers still.

No skipped stitches, just occasional runs of loopy top thread on the bottom for a few inches, then it settles again. About to do a super check for burrs again and check for loose collar. I'll keep you posted!

Anne

Anne:  I don't think you have a timing or burr issue.  What's new since it ran cool?  Bobbin?  Bobbin case?  Re-threading of the machine?  Is your bobbin case clean?  If you ran Tut, you probably had a lot of lint.  Is there some hiding in the bobbin case?  Is there a paper/cardboard side on the bobbin that might be rubbing against the hook?  Keep looking.  Jim

Thanks Jim and Gail,

Good thought Gail. I did change to a new bobbin case yesterday, still running warm.

Just before the problem started, I WD40'ed the area and oiled again a few times. Also ran the Tut. Knowing it was linty, I blew the area frequently while quilting and cleaned tension discs. I remember the top thread wrapping the bobbin (either Tut or before) and me pulling bits out. I've tried to go in from all angles and can see nothing left over, but perhaps there is still a piece wrapped??? I don't think I could see it without taking the collar off and having to retime. :-(

Thanks I appreciate all your ideas!

Anne.

Something bothering me is that the stitch regulator has not been reliable for a few months. It doesn't hold a regular stitch length (see photo). I've just been too busy to deal with it properly. Maybe I've caused more issues......

Anne:  I still think the issue is a tension issue.  Put a practice sandwich on and tighten the top tension down until you can see the bobbin thread on top, stitch some, then begin loosening the top tension until you get a balanced stitch.  I'm pretty sure that very unbalanced tension will affect your stitch regulator performance as well.  Look very carefully at the take up spring to make sure it's working properly.  Make sure that it's not dragging on the machine head as it moves up and down.  Jim

Archived