Path of Irma and Jose

Praying for everyone in the path of Irma and Jose.  Please prepare for their arrival,  I was an Emergency Manager for 8 years and found most are not convinced these storms are as bad as predicted, they're worse.  Hopefully, Irma will turn out to the Atlantic but she looks determined to go ashore.  I live in Michigan but you are welcome to come to my home, if needed.  For my quilty friends I have plenty of UFOs to work on if you come north!  God Bless and be with you.

Thanks for praying for everyone Connie, most of our family lives in FL and the FL Keys, and my stubborn brother in law thinks he can wait until late tonight to leave the keys and is thinking he only has to go to Homestead to be safe....he is such a knucklehead!  We are very worried about him and his wife, and now we are hearing that there is no gas to travel with and roads are all backed up with people leaving....my worse worry is that so many who waited so long will spend the storm in their cars stuck in traffic which we all know will be a very bad idea....they were there for Andrew and know very well how bad it can be....please keep praying for them.....

My sisters live in Florida - on the west coast - and they won't leave. I have 2 cousins in the Ft. Lauderdale area and they also are staying. I am praying for everyone's safety and hope both of these storms decide to change course and go further east and don't do the massive damage that Irma did to Barbuda, St. Marteen, and other small islands.Vicki, My thoughts and prayers are going out to your brother and his wife. Why are people so stubborn when they know what the consequences could be?

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  We just finished getting all the hurricane shutters up.  We only have to secure one side of the hurricane screens (looks like the trampoline mat that you bounce on) on the front and back doors.  Now to help neighbors and family to secure their homes in the next day or two.  We are not planning on evacuating now, and besides the roads are starting to look like a parking lots with everyone evacuating from south Florida.  Our nephew on the Tampa side of the state decided to evacuate, and they could not find an available hotel room closer than 200 miles north of Atlanta.  What normally takes about an hour to drive is taking 3 to 4 hours.  Finding gas is becoming difficult. I hope and pray all of the southern APQS forum members ride out Irma and Jose safe and sound, as they evacuate northward.  Be safe, and God speed.

Cagey 

We appeared to have survived the storm so far, with only minor house damage.  Nothing so large to even file an insurance claim at this time.  Hopefully the same will hold true for the other FL, GA, AL forum members.  Knock on wood we still have power and internet access.  It keeps going out every 30 minute or so for a few a seconds up to a minute.  When it is out for awhile, you really start to wonder if it is coming back on.  

Still praying that the rest of you are safe and sound, and have only minor damage if any at all.  Take care, and God Bless.  Be safe!!!!

Cagey

We survived Irma with no house damage and minor tree damage.  Irma appeared to dissipate when she went over Marion County (Ocala is where I live and it is in Marion County).  We were so very fortunate.  I also live close to I-75.  I can see the interstate at the entrance of our community.  I-75 was crazy for a week before Irma and I suspect it will be crazy busy when everyone returns.  My daughter lives in Melbourne and she evacuated with her three kids to our house about a week before Irma hit.  Her husband is in the Air Force and deployed to Korea so he missed the fun entirely.  Her damage consisted of a palm tree on her roof (but no house damage, thank goodness) and her back fence was taken down.  Things we can replace; family we cannot.  Thanks to everyone for their prayers and thoughts.  

Delores;

Yes, The Quilt Place, survived the storm, as did we.  Many places in the Melbourne/Rockledge/Cocoa area are still without power.  We lost both water and power late Saturday night/early Sunday morning.  The water came back late Monday, and we only had power restored yesterday evening.  Life is rather non-fun living off a generator, balancing the electrical load to run refrigerators, freezers, fans, and other small items, while at the same time providing electricity to our neighbors.  I wish I had been like my quilting friend who has been quilting non-stop since last Wednesday.  She never lost power, and since she did not evacuate has been staying at home quilting her finger off.  

Tuesday afternoon was exciting as two individuals in a hit a run accidents with an elderly couple down the road decided to abandon their car, and flee on foot in my neighborhood.  The one individual ran north, while the other cut through two houses up from ours.  We asked him what he was doing as we knew he did not belong in the area and he was dripping wet from head to toe and drunk.  He told us he was running from the cops, as his friend was on probation for murder, but he hadn't done anything.  We started locking down the house, since it was wide open to stay cool, and called the police.  When we checked on our elderly neighbors, the man was in their house.  The wife politely talked him out of the house, and the individual walked out.  He then walked up the street.  While on the phone with the police, the individual went between a few houses.  About 20 police cars arrived, and they started looking for the individuals.  We even had a police helicopter flying at house top level searching for them.  The police had to search a number of homes as people had left their houses open while they out.  The caught the one that ran north hiding in a condo stairwell with a gun just north of our neighborhood, and our neighbor caught the one we spoke with later that night.  The neighbors held him at gun point until the police arrived shortly later.  For two hours or so, everyone forgot how hot, humid, and challenging live can be without power, cable, or internet.  

Luckily we only have to boil or water at this point, and sleeping last night was wonderful in a nice cool home.  I thank everyone for their thoughts a prayers.  The hurricane could have been much worse, and could have caused much more damage than I have seen so far in our area.  I'm sure insurance costs will sky rocket next year, but at least we are alive.  Take care, and God Bless the rest of the state that is without power and/or suffered much more damage than our are area sustained.  

Cagey

We came down to our daughter's house in Melbourne today to help her clean up and had to bring her some eggs as the grocery supply is still limited to non-existent.  I heard on our local news about the couple who held the suspect at gun point.  I'm sure it was pretty scary for awhile.  We took I75/Florida Turnpike/I95 to her house and the tolls are still suspended.  The traffic wasn't near as bad as I thought.  I was thinking everyone would be going south to go home.  I'm keeping my eye on (and fingers crossed) at Lee.  Hopefully he will fizzle out or go back into the ocean.  

Archived