Finding clients

I have had my Magnificent Millie with quilt path for 4 months. I used a friend's Millie for 6 quilts before buying mine.  I've done several more since. I'm what I would consider an advanced beginner, and Quilt Path makes me look good. I set up to do quilting as a business. I have had home businesses before and know what is needed. But despite all the typical stuff I am not getting clients. And before you ask; I have business cards I give out frequently, magnet signs on my car, a Facebook page, ads in the ASG and local Guild newsletters, do lots of show and tells, talked to shops, still trying to set up a website, am advertising on quilting pages that allow, did a sale, and more. All I have gotten is a few UFOs from someone on one of my quilting Facebook sites. I did my research and my prices are mid for my area. There aren't too many longarm quilters near by. I talk about my business all the time. But so far still no local clients. Hubby was a adamant that I pay back my Millie by taking in quilts. I'm willing, but am stumped. Other than finishing my website, which I'm trying to do, what else can I do? 

What I did when I first started out was I made up coupons for a Free quilting, edge to edge I choose the design, lap size or smaller, to be used within 3 months and handed them out to our sew group ladies.  I also made sure my prices were very competitive ...in fact I was less than the norm when first starting out and then after my clientele was established I gradually increased my price.  I do have another perk for loyal clients... 8 paid bed size quilts, gets a Free quilting for a lap size or smaller.

Doing this I was able to pay off my longarm within 10 months!

• 1 month later...

How about quilting some of the local quilt shops quilts that are on display with the understanding that they will suggest you when someone asks about that quilts.  Also, if you are in a guild, advertise in your membership booklet and/or do some free quilting of charity quilts that are donated to your guild.  If your guild has a quilt show, make sure you place some of your quilts in that show with your quilting on it.  Your name as the quilter will be on that and is great advertisement.

• 1 year later...

Join a local guild but don't be surprised if you get the cold shoulder from the resident quilter in the group. Volunteer to help with their projects. Once they see your work, people will migrate to you. Don't go after the other quilters' clientele but wait for the new members who will find you are available when the others are backed up. Word of mouth gets you lots of repeat customers.