Niece wanted to make a quilt

My niece, Sydney, visited for a week from Minnesota, because she wanted to see us and wanted to learn to quilt. She'll be 14 next month.  She saved her money and bought a sewing machine.  The only sewing she's really done was in the class the place she bought her sewing machine offered for new machine owners. 
I've taught adults, but not kids. 
I told her to look through a book of blocks and choose the ones she liked. I vetoed all but the one in the pictures. 
I decided to make 18" inch blocks, so she only needed to make 6 blocks. It ended up looking too long and skinny, so we decided to make 3 more blocks. 
Sydney did most of the cutting and sewing. I did all the pinning. I had her practice drawing what she wanted to quilt, and then quilt it on some sheets I cut down, using my Millie. She decided to quilt feathers and swirls in the sashing, and I suggested meandering in the blocks. She did one block, and didn't like it at all, so we ripped it out.  She ended up doing feathers in all the blocks. She did all the quilting. She had never even seen a longarm until she saw mine. 
I'm amazed at how well she did. She said she had no idea what making a quilt involved. With all the work she did in one week, she didn't get burned out. She wants to come back, and thinks she can go home and make a quilt using the churn dash block. 

Deb.

image.jpeg.f8d3466c9583a0d2e7f5b2a222175ab1.jpegimage.jpeg.eeaae58d08c386765f946ca006ed4191.jpegimage.jpeg.de562681254b34398df7ff6be48880d0.jpeg

Deb;

She did a wonderful job.  The feathers look outstanding.  I hazard to guess she will soon be free motion quilting on her DSM.  You might want to get her some Craftsy classes for Christmas from Leah Day, Angela Walters, Cindy Needham, etc. to build her sit down quilting skills.  Then next visit to your place you better watch out.  Tell her she did an exceptional job piecing and quilting from everyone her on the forum.  Thank you for sharing.

Cagey

Thank you everyone for your comments and encouraging words. I couldn't believe how well she did. I plan on letting her know what everyone has said  

21 hours ago, Cagey said:

She did a wonderful job.  The feathers look outstanding.  I hazard to guess she will soon be free motion quilting on her DSM.  You might want to get her some Craftsy classes for Christmas from Leah Day, Angela Walters, Cindy Needham, etc. to build her sit down quilting skills.  Then next visit to your place you better watch out.  Tell her she did an exceptional job piecing and quilting from everyone her on the forum.  Thank you for sharing.

Cagey, great ideas about Craftsy classes. i started out having her quilt using my DSM.  The following pictures are example of what she did. She seemed to enjoy it. 

Deb.

image.jpeg.986da31c82673afc738f261bbed66cca.jpeg

Deb;

I think a class or two and some on paper drawing practice, and she will be winning some ribbons at the school art shows and quilt shows.  Have her check at her school to see if they consider sewing and quilting an art.  I have seen it at some of the art presentations at our local high schools.  I have tried to get my girls to do it, but all they want is to use the DSM to embroider gifts or teachers or for Spirt Day costumes.  Maybe one day they will get the quilting bug.

Cagey

Archived