Batting tape

When using the iron-on batting tape (which I love!) to join two pieces of batting, do you attach it to the right or wrong side of the batting?  And in the case of wool batting, do you load the batting with the tape side up or down?  I mostly use batting off the roll, and have been making a lot of smaller quilts lately, so I have some good sized batting leftovers to combine for use.

Thanks in advance!

Betsy:  I don't know about tape and sides, but here's what I do.  I just lay pieces of batting together and quilt them down inside the quilt.  I don't tape or sew the batting pieces together at all.  I haven't had any problems with the batting pulling apart or any kind of quilt failure.  The batting pretty much sticks to the quilt fabrics so it isn't difficult to properly place it in the quilt.  Of course the quilting stitches it in place.  Just another thought about using batting pieces.  Jim

20 hours ago, jimerickson said:

I don't tape or sew the batting pieces together at all.  I haven't had any problems with the batting pulling apart or any kind of quilt failure.

Thank you, Jim, that's good to know! Before I bought my Millie, that's how I managed to quilt big quilts on my domestic machine... cut the batting into thirds and spray baste and quilt one third at a time starting in the centre of the quilt. I never taped or stitched the batting pieces together. People thought I was crazy but I have never had problems either. With Millie I have always dutifully stitched the pieces together with the largest zig zag settings on my machine, I thought I had to because there is no basting. I will definitely try it your way now... yes, I am lazy :D

I’ve started using really light fusible interfacing I buy by the yard. I cut it into strips about 2.5” wide for joining batting pieces. It’s a bit more economical than the tape and easier than stitching. If you just butt join batting without anything, I’d worry about the batting sagging or folding and whatnot in the quilt sandwich if the quilting isn’t close enough to stop it where the batting edges are, if you know what I mean. 

Archived