Tips For New Long Arm Owner?

wisepati

Dear me, reading the issues with service is not very reassuring but I have working on sewing machines before and service my own (I own vintage machines) so hope I can do the same for my new APQS machine.   One of the reasons I did not buy another brand is that some were 'sealed' and you could not oil them.

Anyway, my question is, what else might I need once I get my new Lucey set up?   I see a lot of accessories, things to hold the side of a quit, systems to make it easier to get the quilt on the leaders, etc.

Anyone have favorites they want to share?  My machine arrives next week and I plan to spend Thanksgiving weekend getting it together and starting some practice.  I have all the tools listed and am mechanically inclined but still a bit nervous.

The Hartley extension table is perfect for using rulers with your machine.  I love my LeaderGrips which alleviate having to pin my quilts to my canvases.  I, also, have an extra bobbin case where I can take out the spring and use that one solely for prewound magnetic bobbins.  Those are the things that I suggest to my new customers  

Hi,

I got a couple of extra bobbin cases and have marked each one as to the type of bobbin thread I use in each one.....after you get the hang of it adjusting bobbin tension isn't that hard....but I am lazy and most of the time, I don't have to do much adjusting as they are already set......one thing I did....because my machine is in a basement with concrete floors......I made a "batting sling" out of an old sheet top and hung it underneath my table to hold my batting up off the floor ....works really good....and I also got me a 3/4 inch think rubber matt that is two feet by 12 feet which helps keep my feet comfortable.....Make sure you have one of those hex wrenches for the roller brakes as mine need to be readjusted every now and then......I think there was one that came with the machine?....I really can't remember....I got one with those multi-sizes in it and a handle.....Oh.....and I found a really neat flat screen flashlight that can stand up....and a hand mirror....used to check my stitches underneath the table....I am not much good a crawling under there for a look...getting too creaky......I got a small air compressor for blowing out the bobbin area.....but gotta confess...my nephew has used it his projects more than me....I sometimes use one of those hand held air pumps used for blowing up exercise balls instead...handy...and also just brush out the lint.....a magnetic pin bowl is also nice if you are going to pin the backing to the leaders....it sticks to the rollers.......hope that helps...oh...and I have had my Lucey now for about 5 years...really haven't had to do much to her other than the routine cleaning and oiling...Lin

Pati:  You can relax.  APQS customer support is great.  They'll help you with anything that might come up.  The machines themselves are quite simple and easy to service yourself.  Before you get involved with buying all sorts of gadgets, your probably should get used to the machine.  Then you'll have a better idea of what you need to change, and what's OK for you.  I am with qltnbe on the extended base however, you'll want one to do ruler work.  Exactly which one to get will require a little research.  Good luck.  Jim

Congratulations!!!  So exciting!!! You will love your machine and APQS is excellent in customer care, so don't fret!  I wind my own bobbins so I bought a bunch to have on hand and they are pretty inexpensive as well as getting an extra bobbin case.  I too made a sling for my batting from an old sheet and some rope and bungee cords. Only really need it for the big quilts though.  A smallish (2"x10") straight edge ruler with 1/4" registration marks on it, is a great place to start of you have an interest in doing ruler work.  The one that comes with the Hartley base expander is pretty big and unwieldy IMHO.  You'll figure it out in time, and the forum is a great resource for those questions that come up.  Enjoy your new machine!

Archived