Hand Quilting Thread

My daughter's elementary art teacher has started an art quilting project.  She is going to have about 60 - sixth graders draw a design on a 6 inch white block of fabric using "high quality" fabric art markers.  After the students are finished, she want the students to hand quilt the blocks.  My question, is what weight of thread and color would you recommend for the students to use?  The students will have enough of an issue threading the needles, much less quilting, so I am trying to minimize the thread changes.  

I was considering Superior Bottom line in two or three colors that will work with all the colors.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Cagey

oh....I know that one of my friends uses embroidery floss to hand quilt her projects.....she uses a rather long stitch....and the stitches are a design element....it looks sort of primitive and very pretty.......she has a variety of colors available so she can pick and choose what she wants....she does use a lot of black and dark red....but she also uses other colors.....so for kids who don't have any quilting experience ....it would be fun....it would not by any means be "invisible" stitching....but it would be fun and easily accomplished by most of the students......Lin

I've done this sort of thing with 3-5 graders and it can be a challenge.  Bottom Line will be difficult to handle and to make a decent knot with.  Tying knots was a bigger hurdle than threading needles for our kids.  I would choose hand quilting thread, or even button twist.  Providing larger needles with large eyes will also make this project go much more smoothly.

Good luck!!!!

Carol

I think there are several different brands that you could get from a quilt shop or JoAnnes or Hobby Lobby.  It will be labeled as hand quilting thread.  It has a waxy finish to make it stronger, and I think that it will be much easier to handle than regular thread.  Don't be tempted to keep the leftover thread for your own use- it should not ever be used in a sewing machine.  Let us know how this project turns out!

Carol

Archived