Sign in to follow this  
SueG

Superior Bottom Line

I have recently upgraded to a new Millie (from a Lenni), whole new "learning curve". My machine  came with a Turbo Bobbin Winder (for Big Bobbins). I have managed to wind a bobbin with Superior So Fine without any problems but have had no success with Bottom Line as the thread keeps breaking.I have loosened the tension dial and removed the "net" all to no avail. I notice that the hole in the top of the So Fine cone is just 1/2 inch in diameter and the Bottom Line cone is 1 inch, would this make any difference.  I have resorted to buying a Reel of Bottom Line but the thread still breaks.Any advice would be gratefully received.

Happy Thanksgiving

I'm puzzled by the question about the hole in the top of the cone, since the thread feeds off the cones in exactly the same way for both and the hole isn't used for any reason in the winding process. Leaving on the net is best. More control of the thread will aid with even feeding. Apply some Sewer's Aid if you have some to keep the thread cooler. Try another cone of Bottom Line to make sure it isn't a bad cone of thread. Good luck finding the problem so you can get to the fun part of the process.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

I’m confused as well.  Are you talking about the thread breaking on the bobbin winder or the Millie?  I read it as a problem with the bobbin Winder.

Nigel

Brenda Wells - Green Millie
Nigel Wells - Ultimate 1 with |Intellistitch & IQ

Interesting! I've been winding my own bobbins with Bottom Line cones for 11 years and never had breakage. The size of the hole in the cone is not an issue. I'm thinking your Turbo Winder is not threaded correctly. 

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Thank you everybody for your help and advice - the problem was with the turbo bobbin winder ` which has now been solved. It was only when I read the manual and it said put "slight tension" on the thread tail that I realised I had been holding it "too tightly". Problem solved!!

Glad you discovered the problem.  I think we are as bad at looking at the manuals as men are at asking for directions.  ;)

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png