Ribbon for Rita's Quilt!

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I received a package from Himself (a.k.a. RitaR's husband, Roland).  Imagine my surprise when I found a ribbon and evaluation form, along with a letter from Roland.  Here is what he had to say:

Dear Betsy,

Pray you and your family had a joyful and present Thanksgiving.  Mine was enjoyable, spent with my daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids.

Our quilt guild was in need of more quilts for our quilt show, so decided to enter the one you gals made for Rita.  I was using it on the bed.

It won a ribbon, so I'll send it on to you.  I'm enjoying looking at it and reading the writing on it.

I thank you gals again for making the quilt.  She enjoyed when she first saw it, and was wanting to see it again later, but just never got up the strength to do it.

Pray you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Rita's quilt won second place!  I had tears in my eyes when I saw the ribbon and read Roland's letter.  Wasn't that nice of him to send that for all of us to see?

I know this was a group project, but I hope no one minds if I keep the ribbon.  I never expected to have a quilt with my work win anything, and this means a lot to me.

Ribbon for Rita's Quilt.jpg

Hearts and Hands quilt show evaluation.jpg

I believe the best thing from this win, is that we all are reminded that while Rita may no longer be with us in body, she continues to live among us in spirit and her words of wisdom on the forum.  I find the ribbon to be a tangible reminder to Roland just how special his bride was, and how many lives she touched during her time with him.  Congratulations to Rita, Roland, and all those who brought about this wonderful reminder of love and caring.

Cagey

Betsy, thank you for sharing the ribbon and Roland's note.  I'm in tears once again but good tears knowing the quilt not only made Rita smile but "himself", Roland is getting comfort from this quilt.  It's amazing  he entered it in the show, I agree Rita was behind his thoughts saying do it!   I get the feeling that's it's her way of saying thank you, smile.  I forgot how beautiful the quilt was, thank you for posting the picture again. 

I love running across old posts that still have Rita's comments on them, she will always be with us.

Betsy, I think you deserve the ribbon.  You volunteered without hesitating to gather the blocks, arrange them, add sashing and quilt it.  You also got it done in a hast, enabling us to get it to Rita who was gravely ill at the time.

Please be sure Dawn gets a copy of the letter, picture of the ribbon and quilt.  She would love to post it on the blog and probably the APQS Facebook site too.

PS:  The ribbon is adorable!

Thank you so much Betsy for sharing this reward.  By all means you deserve to keep the ribbon and anything else that is connected to this quilt.  If it had not been for you, we would have never gotten it done in a timely fashion.  It is so heart warming to see what Himself has done with the quilt.  I'm sure he will continue to keep it on the bed to warm his heart as well.  I agree with Vickie, how very thoughtful of Himself to share this quilt with all that were at the show and now around the world.  Thank you again Betsy, you did a wonderful job.

Awesome, Betsy.  Of course you get to keep the ribbon as you were the quilter and pattern designer.  It was satisfying knowing that I still remembered which blocks I made.  I'm so glad he's using the quilt.  I'm using this post as a reminder to send him a Christmas card and a thank you for letting us know about the quilt.  On facebook go to the WE LOVE APQS page, post the quilt and the story with it.  I know everyone would love to read about Rita's quilt.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived