Liberty machine

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a used Liberty machine in June of this year. So far I really like it. I had a little buyer’s remorse at first as I really had my heart set on a 26” throat machine. But for my first machine it’s been great. I have a lot to learn and need to work on pretty much everything. I plan on taking her in for a spa treatment and purchasing the M and  M wheels then I think I’ll bet set for quite a while. My intention it to keep improving and hopefully get good enough to quilt for others. Maybe a new machine when I retire in nine years if I’m able to make a little extra income to pay for a new one. Any one have the ruler base on their Liberty? I want to purchase one but am worried about even less quilting space with the base. Any and all advice is appreciated. I’ve learned so much from all of you over the last several months reading the posts. Thanks to everyone for sharing all of your knowledge and experiences. It makes a newbie like me feel like I can reach out when I get stuck and get good advice. Sorry so long. Merry Christmas! Now back to that quilt for  my sister I need to finish by Monday.:D

Kat

The ruler base shouldn’t reduce your quilting space.  You may have to raise your rollers a bit so the base fits underneath but that isn’t hard.  If you go to M&M’s make sure you ask about the grounding kit.  We almost bought a used Liberty from the dealer but I found out APQS had some Green Millies  at the time and there wasn’t much difference in price.  

Nigel

Back when the M&M wheels were introduced a few of us had some strange behaviour with our machines and it took a little while for APQS to figure it out. We did tear a customer’s quilt when the needle fired down when moving the head across the quilt to start another row of a pantograph.  Turns out the problem was the material the new wheels were made of would build up a static charge as they ran up and down the rails and eventually that charge would go through the machine to get to ground.  The solution was a grounding kit that would let the charge continually dissipate.  I am sure all the new machines have this built in from the factory but your Liberty will probably need it added.  Very simple install.  The kit used to be free when you bought the M&M wheels but if it isn’t anymore it won’t be much.

Nigel

• 1 month later...

We have my Liberty off the table and ready to go in for her spa treatment tomorrow!  I’m so excited :D We have to drive 3 and 1/2 hours one way to Louisville to drop her off. My husband is such a blessing:wub:  I purchased the M &M wheels and she’s going to install them for me when she does the spa treatment. Thank you Nigel for the advice about the grounding kit for the new wheels. It did in fact still come with the wheels at no extra cost. But I wouldn’t have even understood what it was for without you explaining. I can’t wait to see how she runs and how the new wheels are when we get her back. It could be up to three weeks but I’m sure it will be worth it. Now to keep working on some more quilt tops so I’ll have something to quilt when “Libby” gets back. I’ll watch all of you for inspiration while waiting. Anyone have any advice on deep cleaning my table while everything is off??

Archived