Ldc2013

Newbie Questions

I bought my Lucey in the spring and we are still getting aquainted. I was taught to always go from right to left (when using the front), but I've read posts saying that this isn't necessary. Do any of you quilt in both directions? What about when using pantographs? Also, I do a lot of t-shirt quilts made with multicolored shirts. I usually use light gray, silver or white thread. Any thread suggestions when quilting blocks that are all different colors? Thanks for any advice:)

When standing in front, I always go from left to right, but I'm sure its what you are use to and what is easier for you.  When doing Pantos and in back of machine, I go from right to left.  Some of the more experienced quilters will let you know more I'm sure.

E09E59CAF06403E058848257636B2E85.png

If your thread doesn't break going in the opposite direction, then go for it; but it is less likely to break when going from left to right because of the defection iof the needle away from the hook.  I usually use a med. gray for t-shirt quilts; but I would lay a few different colors of thread across your quilt to see which one blends the best.  

Hi,

I mainly do simple free motion designs such as bubble meander or a leafy meander or swirls or something like that.....I find I can usually go in both directions without much breakage.....when I first started out I had more breakage...but I think as I get better at moving smoothly and have am more comfortable with the tension adjustments for different threads, I have less breakage....Lin

I'm right handed so left to right in the front feels natural.  You can go either way.  I have a computer on my machine and it quilts in both directions with no problems not even thread breakage.  I think what sewingpup has hit the nail on the head, moving the machine smoothly in both directions should work fine.  If you thread breaks going right to left, slow down a tad to reduce needle flex.  I use a neutral thread on quilts with a lot of colors (unless it's super custom), usually gray, linen or mossy green.

Connie
Port Huron, MI   48060
APQS Sales Rep and Educator
Millennium with Intelliquilter (IQ)

"Be a good listener, your ears will never get you in trouble" Frank Tygr

sewsweetgator@aol.com
http://www.yoursite.com
287890c1690b93fca26ac74c1d32b308.png