Quilting on appliqué or embroidery blocks

I've actually done it both ways.  I quilted over my embroidery blocks however went a little slower when hitting those spots.   The first time I did this, I stopped quilting at the embroidery, tied off and started again after it - a lot of work.   On the next quilt I just quilted over them and I actually liked it better.  I think it's important to pick out the right color of thread as that can make all the difference.    I think it will be personal preference.

I, personally, don’t quilt over appliqué. This means that there is some starts and stops to deal with. 

If you are wanting to use your quilt path, then you might want to choose a more open design that wouldn’t distract from the appliqué 

I dont quilt over Applique' either...however, i've quilted over the embroidery blocks and it really doesnt affect the embroidery at alll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone's afraid to quilt over it, but as long as it's white or off white thread...you will be ok.  I dont know if someone embroidered on black fabric, to use black thread over the embroidery, but....that's yet to be seen or tried....

• 4 weeks later...

I regularly stitch  over embroidery on quilts, BUT I use the filament threads.  This thread does not impose on the embroidery or applique in any way,  but gives a lofty continuity when doing an edge to edge.  The filament thread is great to work with - an incredibly LOOSE tension is the secret. 

I remember my first customer quilt I did with large applique blocks. I knew I needed to do something with those huge items, so I stitched around them, said a little prayer and went for it. I've stitched over large appliquéd pieces ever since.  If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

In my former life I was a machine embroiderer and was familiar with Ann the Gran and considered her a legitimate source of knowledge and supplies.  Her web site has a lot of well known brands and although I have not followed her for 10 years I have no knowledge that anything has changed, so if I wanted something that she supplied I would not hesitate to purchase from her.  You might give her a small order to test it out.

Archived