• advertisement_alt

Donna TKO

Flatlining

By Donna TKO, Monday at 01:36 PM in Tension Troubleshooting

Donna TKO

•  
  • Donna TKO
  • 12 posts

Hello!  I'm a newbie and am seeing the "flatlining" issue.  It's short little bursts of flatlining, and I didn't notice until I took the quilt off the machine.  I'm so thankful for all the information on this site, I plan to use all of it until my problem is fixed.  

The question I have though, is this:  What about this quilt I just finished?  Is it ruined, will the back stitching fall out the first time I wash it? I kind of planned to give it as a gift, I'm sure the person receiving the quilt won't notice, but I'm afraid it will pull apart when it's washed and I'll look like a fool...I am examining it too closely?

Thank you for any and all advice!

IMG_2123.JPG

Donna TKO
Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi Donna. First, you are being too hard on yourself! The quilting is quite acceptable. If  you have used a high quality thread - all will be well as the quilt is used and when it is washed. First, is the quilting in your picture on the top or the back of the quilt? There is an article on this website about railroading on the bobbin side: https://www.apqs.com/what-causes-railroad-tracks/

When there is railroading on top, I check the following: Is there an issue in the thread path - anything in the wrong place or getting caught on something? Or, try loosening the top tension. Or, if you are racing across your quilt, slow down. You can out run your needle and its ability to make good stitches. Or, try loosening the tension on the quilt. It should be loose enough that the machine throat plate area forms a little "mole-hill" as it moves across the quilt.

Tension was my biggest learning curve when I got my first machine. Can't tell you how many times I called my dealer for advice! As you are learning, I suggest checking out your tension and speed on a practice sandwich before you load a quilt. Eventually, you will know what works for you.  So, go easy on yourself. You are doing a great job! By the way, I really like the quilting design. Is it free motion or panto? What is the name of the panto?

Sharon,  thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions!  The article had great information, thank you for that also.

I purchased a used Lennie and this was pretty much my first quilt on it, except for practice pieces.  The front looked great and I while I looked at the back, obviously I didn't look at it close enough and I about fainted when I noticed those spots. :(  Since this was the back of the quilt, I will try tightening the top tension a little.

I used Superior Omni Thread, 40 wt on the front and back.  I used a Panto; not near ready to try free motion!  The panto is from Urban Elementz and it's called Vintage.  I attached a couple more pictures, my first try at flying geese - they were really fun to make!

Thanks again Sharon, it means a lot just to hear someone say "it's okay"!  

Donna

Back.JPG

Front.JPG

Donna,

As usual Sharon beat me to the keyboard but her advice is always spot on.  Your quilt is beautiful.  We have all had the dreaded "railroad tracks", so you're  right there with us.   You are probably the only one who will notice them.  We are the worst at judging ourselves whether piecing or quilting.  I see every mistake on my quilts but others say what mistakes?  Once you wash a quilt most of the mistakes go away.  I'm not saying to ignore them but learn from them.   Sharon is right, it takes a little learning curve on tension but you will pick it up quickly.  There's some great info and videos on tension, check them out.  You can search "railroad tracks" here on the forum too for a wealth of info.   Your swirls look really good, sometimes  it takes a while to get the hang of circular motion but you "got it".  Welcome and keep those pictures coming, we love "eye candy".

Thank you all for your advice, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the members and this site!  It is so wonderful to have all this information anytime you need help, inspiration or advice.  I'm really glad I chose to be part of the APQS family!  Thanks Again!

Donna

Archived