Luz2Quilt

Quilting with Minky or Cuddle Backing

Hi there fellow APQS Quilters - I am getting ready to quilt a baby quilt with "cuddle or minky" backing. The quilt is 54x70 and the cuddle fabric is heavy without batting. 
1) Did you use batting? If so, what blend?
2) How did you prevent backing from stretching?
3) Did you need to tighten or loosen the tension?
I appreciate any insight you can provide. Thank you

It has been awhile but I didn't have any problems. I did use a batting. I think a low loft poly batting.  Make sure you don't stretch the Minky when loading. Load  with the lengthwise grain against the  leaders.  I adjusted tension as usual. Good luck

Betty

Betty Ann

2 hours ago, jbnt9999 said:

It has been awhile but I didn't have any problems. I did use a batting. I think a low loft poly batting.  Make sure you don't stretch the Minky when loading. Load  with the lengthwise grain against the  leaders.  I adjusted tension as usual. Good luck

Betty

Hi Betty. Do you mean have the lengthwise grain  without stretch, running parallel to the leaders?  

Thank you,

Kathy :)

2017 APQS Lucey

Janome 6600P

12 hours ago, jbnt9999 said:

yes,  That is the way I Did it. that way the clips won't pull or stretch the minky

Gotcha!  Thank you for your advice and thank you Luz2Quilt for posting the question!

Happy Quilting!

Kathy :)

2017 APQS Lucey

Janome 6600P

I like using cuddle soft as a backing on lap quilts so that I don’t have to piece the back. I have not had any problems. I have used a couple different low loft battings.

Deb.