Moroccan Vibe-ish

It must be picture day today!  I just finished binding this quilt I finished quilting right before Christmas. Yesterday was finally dry enough with a little break through light in the clouds so ran outside for pictures. This quilt is a takeoff of the SKOW Moroccan Vibe, enlarged to fit our bed to 96”x 117. This was the quilt I asked so many questions here about double batting and hopping foot height etc.   It was certainly a learning experience in so many ways.  Quilted on Lenni. 

66914152-1508-4BC4-800C-17F5024EAF3B.jpeg

A38548C5-B7D5-4216-B143-C8FCACE7202A.jpeg

1 hour ago, LibbyG said:

Kathy, I just love seeing your work.  Your creativity amazes me! I love the pattern and the quilting.  How long did it take you to quilt this?

Thanks Libby!  Coming from you that's high  praise indeed :). I don't keep track of my hours, I'm not that disciplined, but I had it on the frame for over two months.  I'm really slow at it and I don't get to quilt everyday, but tried to keep a it, as I knew if I didn't, I'd never get it off!  I think it takes me longer to decide what I'm going to do, as doing it when it comes to all aspects of my quilting :huh::rolleyes:

Thank you everyone for such positive feedback!  One thing I've really noticed with working on the longarm over my Sweet 16 sitdown, is the fact that the big picture while in progress is hidden from us, so when you finally finish a quilt, it's just like Christmas morning when you get to unwrap the quilt and see the big picture and overall effect of the quilting you've added.  I admit that I am quite happy with the big picture I've made here, as I really changed direction a few times while piecing, when I didn't like certain aspects, then with the quilting I only knew how I was going to quilt one thing for sure and it was the border. The rest was ad lib'd and I was sure it would look like a dogs breakfast when I was done.  I am so glad I got a pleasant surprise in the outcome.  Thank you again for all the help received from this forum of awesome quilters!

25 minutes ago, Gator said:

Beautiful.  Love the way you carried out the ornaments shapes in the quilting.  The quilting sure does make this quilt!

Thanks Connie!  I agree, before the quilting, the top was rather uninspiring.  The whole project was intended to be a learning tool. I wanted to try a curved piecing pattern from SKOW and practice my quilting, trying new motifs, so needed lots of negative space :rolleyes:.  I wanted to try a double batted quilt and wanted another quilt for our bed.  I used a discounted FQ bundle and a few scraps and background I had on hand to keep the cost down.  I often feel let down when I finish piecing a top, they always look so flat. But I've come to the belief the quilting really does breathe life into a quilt and it worked on this one too! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 8:23 PM, Kwiltr said:

Thank you everyone for such positive feedback!  One thing I've really noticed with working on the longarm over my Sweet 16 sitdown, is the fact that the big picture while in progress is hidden from us, so when you finally finish a quilt, it's just like Christmas morning when you get to unwrap the quilt and see the big picture and overall effect of the quilting you've added.  I admit that I am quite happy with the big picture I've made here, as I really changed direction a few times while piecing, when I didn't like certain aspects, then with the quilting I only knew how I was going to quilt one thing for sure and it was the border. The rest was ad lib'd and I was sure it would look like a dogs breakfast when I was done.  I am so glad I got a pleasant surprise in the outcome.  Thank you again for all the help received from this forum of awesome quilters!

This is really super.  You inspire me to work on something that's closer to a whole cloth quilt!

I've also noticed about working the long arm (as opposed to pushing the fabric around on a domestic) is that I need to write down the dimensions and spacings as I make those decisions - because when I get to the end of the quilt, I want the last border to look the same as the first border.  Yet the first border is now hidden in the rolled-up quilt.  I also have to be really careful about the math down the two sides, so that my repeats ending up matching the corners at the end of the quilt.

Thank you Eric!  Yup, a bit of planning ahead goes a long way.  I also snap pictures with my phone, so I can check back and see what I did, so I can repeat it when I need to further down the quilt. My memory is not great ;-). 

On February 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM, EHonour said:

This is really super.  You inspire me to work on something that's closer to a whole cloth quilt!

I've also noticed about working the long arm (as opposed to pushing the fabric around on a domestic) is that I need to write down the dimensions and spacings as I make those decisions - because when I get to the end of the quilt, I want the last border to look the same as the first border.  Yet the first border is now hidden in the rolled-up quilt.  I also have to be really careful about the math down the two sides, so that my repeats ending up matching the corners at the end of the quilt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived