needle position

I have a 1993 Ultimate 1, just getting familiar with it.  I started quilting, the stitching was good, then I broke a needle when i started forward.  Checked bobbin placement, needle placement, etc.  Now I have  broken 4-5 needles, when I took the bobbin out, it has nicks on it where the needle is hitting it.  I am using industrial sewing needles that were given to me by the previous owner.  What do I do?  Any ideas would be helpful.

My experience with damaged bobbins from needle strikes happened when the bobbin case was not inserted all the way.  Do not hold the latch when inserting the case but just push it in with your thumb until you hear the click.  If you try to move the head too fast for the motor speed you will get long stitches lots of needle flex and possibly needle breaks.  The needle is inserted with the long groove facing you right?  You also want at least an 18 gauge or MR 4.0 needle to start with as they will be a little stiffer and not break as easily as the finer sizes.  Also let us know where you are, maybe someone close could see if the problem is mechanical or just part of the learning curve.  Do we know if the machine sewed well when you got it?  By chance does this machine have a stitch regulator, if so the needle positioning may need tweaking.  

Nigel

I purchased it used, it had been sitting for up to 5 years, but not really sure.  The gentleman who purchased the house said the couple was deceased.  There was a quilt on the frame, the stitches looked good and I didn't see any other signs of poor stitching.  I talked to an experienced longarm quilter who told me I could have bent the needle also.  It came with a box of industrial needles.  

• 1 month later...

Problem resolved.  I ordered a new bobbin case from APQS as mine did not have a spring; my husband set the timing one rainy day after we watched numerous YouTube videos - the APQS one was great.  Now just adjusting the tension to get it right.  Thank you all so much for all the advice.

Archived