Jim Erickson help

iquiltit

I’ve talked to Jim about this a couple of times and all he did was install the hook and he had to fabricate a retaining finger.  I think the original thought was there was not enough room for the M without moving the shaft down a little.  That would have required gearbox work but it appears that is not necessary.  He definitely made no changes to the gearbox.

Nigel

I have an Ult 2 and don't know whether the gear box on it is the same as the other models. 

Besides just slipping the new M hook on, I had to thin the hook shaft stop collar enough to provide room to time it (the M hook was a bit thicker than the L it replaced), and re-position the bobbin basket retaining finger.  I moved the finger by filing the slot in it's mounting bracket enough deeper to move it up and into proper position for the M hook.  I see that APQS now has an M hook finger, so all you'd need to do is buy it and replace the original.  With the M hook in proper position the only other thing I had to do was raise the needle bar to account for the larger hook diameter.  I used an M hook for a Gammill (the hook used on the Consew walking foot machine).  I don't know what M hook APQS uses.  It could be that if they use a different one, it might be better suited for the change.  I can't say.  Jim

Archived