Thread breakage

I am in need of help from some of you more experienced quilters. 

I am having thread breakage when going from upper right in an arc to lower left. I have checked my thread path, put in a new needle & loosened my tension about as much as I dare, checked for lint under the bobbin thumb & cleaned the bobbin area. I am using Aurifil & MagnaGlide Bobbin.  The thread seems to be breaking on the underside of the sandwich.

Any ideas on the correction for this?

IMG_2365.JPG

Try a different (new) bobbin case. (everyone should have spare parts like this).

If you don't have a spare bobbin, order one. In the mean time, clean your bobbin thoroughly. Remove the tension spring inside and blow out completely and wipe out liberally with a q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol, then before inserting the tension spring back into the bobbin case, adjust slightly the little "wing things" so they are popping up a little more.

Now, try loosening the bobbin tension. Personally, I prefer loosey goosey in the bippity bop bobbin and tighter on the tippity top tension. 

Thank you for the suggestions. Tension issues will at the very least make me crazy. I will tighten up the top tension & see how it goes. 

Shana, with tighter tension on the top than the bobbin, don't you get 'pokies' from the bobbin thread coming up on the quilt top?

Barb

On 3/21/2018 at 6:36 AM, KBarb said:

Thank you for the suggestions. Tension issues will at the very least make me crazy. I will tighten up the top tension & see how it goes. 

Shana, with tighter tension on the top than the bobbin, don't you get 'pokies' from the bobbin thread coming up on the quilt top?

Barb

Hi Barb. I've not suffered from pokies on top. Usually top tension too loose is the problem. As a rule, go looser in bobbin and tighter on top. 

Archived