Two new QoV quilts

Beth and I are finally back from our winter RV trip to Florida, and I'm getting to pet Lucius again.  He was pining away, but perked up when I started loading a quilt from the backlog that had developed.  I had a couple of volunteer Quilts of Valor from the local guild, but we had also been doing some piecing while in the RV.  

Here are the two QoV jobs, ready for some veteran.  Some unknown else-person in the guild did the piecing, but I did the quilting and binding.  Both were pantographs, and I was playing with some new panto rolls that I bought from Judy Lyons (Meadowlyon Designs) at QuiltWeek Daytona.  Glide thread top and bottom, different colors.   Used Magna-Glide prewound bobbins.  The green quilt has Glide 60wt on the back, which is nice because it means fewer bobbin changes, but I didn't have the 60wt in a blue for the flag quilt.  The binding is a cute all-machine flange binding that I learned to do a few months ago; it takes about two hours for each quilt with no handwork.

DSC_0001.jpg.48454c4cdab0433c2f35632c4b7f9352.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg.b6a1f0d2fb984e99526a9f227e568699.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, Quilta93 said:

Great job!  I’ll have to look into that binding, I like the looks. It takes so,long to hand sew them. 

Deb. 

Right indeed.  I hate doing the hand work, but I do it to finish Beth's quilts; they'd never get done otherwise, because she dislikes the hand work even more than I do!

This binding is pretty easy.  Create TWO binding strips, length of quilt border, one strip at 1-1/4" width (main color) and the other at 1-3/4" (flange color).  Sew them together lengthwise to create a binding strip at 2-1/2" width.  When you fold/iron it in half lengthwise, the flange color will stick out 1/4" past the main color.  Sew it to the BACK of the quilt first (main color against the quilt back), doing corners and end joins as you normally would do for any binding.  Then when you fold it around to the front, do the final sewing from the front in the ditch of the flange/main seam, aligning it so that the same stitching is in the ditch on the back.  (Yes, this part is a bit tricky to keep lined up.) For that final sewing, use top thread matching the flange color and bobbin thread matching the quilt back.  

Or, follow the pics in this blog.  She uses a different width for the main fabric and ends up with a smaller flange.

https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/2015/01/flanged-binding-tutorial.html

Archived