Using double batting

I have a quilt on my frame and I’m using a double layer of Warm n White cotton batting, 40 wt superior thread & magna glide bobbin. I’ve adjusted my tension and the stitches look good, but the stitching is tight. Should I increase my stitch length? Also, the thickness has made the space between my hopping foot & needle plate tight? Should I adjust this or leave as is? I’ve never used double batting before so I’m not sure if this is normal or not. Any advice would be appreciated.

Happy Quilting,

Carmen

Hi,

Not an expert, but I see no one has chipped in here...more experienced people will I am sure....all I can suggest is to increase your stitch length....I know when I have quilted layers on my DSM, I have had to adjust my stitch length to account for the vertical thickness of the quilt sandwich.....Lin

I agree with Jim, I have used double batting before (QD request along with wool) but did not raise my hopping foot and it quilted just fine...in fact with all of the batting it is less fussing with tension if you want to use two diff colors of thread in the bobbin and on the top...

Archived