I have ordered a Lenni and would like some help on whether to pin, sew on zippers or go with red snappers in regard to the cloth leaders. Will cloth leaders come on my machine? I’m making a list of things to order, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself! 

Thank you.

Congratulations on your new Lenni!  You are going to love it. It will come with cloth leaders.  I did buy red snappers for mine.  And a ruler base from apqs. One thing you will want is bars that go across each end. You can use curtain rods with the curved ends. They elevate your clamps so there is no interference. That was a game changer. ")

I use both zippers and red snappers. On my original leaders is a set of zippers. I use these for long term ptrojects I may want to take on and off. I have created another set of leaders about 8" wide with a zipper on one long side and my snappers on the other for quick projects. If you query old posts you will find a lot of info and pics. If you would like more info I can add pics to this post; I don't have time this morning. Congratulations on your new Lenni!

I've had my Lenni for about a year or so now - ***LOVE***
I've been accumulating the 'extras' a bit at a time as I find things I need or want to learn.   I bought the ruler base and true 1/2" foot.  I use wooden dowels to elevate the clamps - @InesR is right that it is a huge help!
I just use pins - though learned a cool loading technique at a class at MQX that I'm loving and several teachers talked about just using STAPLES for loading (which I have NOT tried yet).

Have fun!

When I started longarming I bought every gadget out there!  Just like Lisa, my best purchase was my zippers and red snappers.  I tried the first version of Leader Grips and didn't care for them but love my snappers.  I agree with Ines, get a set of curtain rods to go under your side clamps too.  Congrats and have fun!!!!  

I have leader grips that I use to attach the quilt back (hated having to pin huge quilts onto the frame).  Leader grips, also, has side strips that clamp on to the quilt so that you get a good four-way stabilization.   To lift the clamps on the side, I just stick a heavy duty yard stick under them.  They work out great.   Most definitely I would suggest buying the ruler base (Hartley) for the APQS machines if you are going to do any ruler work at all.  I wouldn't go crazy on buying a bunch of gadgets until you start working with your machine and getting to know it.  You're going to love Lenni.  

Thanks for commenting on my question. It really helps! Had no idea about the curtain rod! I have seen pictures on YouTube and thought that was something to get from the APQS store!! I love this forum. I have been tuning in for 2 years and have learned so much from you!

The curtain rods work great and I put pipe insulation on mine to protect the bars from being scratched by the rods.  The insulation is split, wraps around the rod easily, is inexpensive and available at home improvement stores.  You can put tie wraps around the insulation to prevent it from sliding off of the rod.

I have several sets of zippers and love them, you can sit down to pin them on and if you need to remove an unfinished quilt for some reason, it is easy to zip it off and back on again...I also have large dowels that my DH put large rubber covered hooks on one end of each dowel and I use those to rest my clamps and straps on....

I'm weird. I like to pin my quilts onto the leaders. I also have zippers which are great, but only use those to zip on my practice quilt or another quilt that is going to be big extended custom project so I can zip it off quickly. But 99.9 percent of the time I'm pinning. It just takes me a few minutes to pin on the leaders (I use corsage pins) and I think I like pinning because I spend time looking at the fabric, seams, straightening, looking for any potential problems, imagining what I might quilt... my mind starts getting busy! 

One word of advice about buying a lot of stuff all at the beginning.... don't get carried away. Many times we buy these gadgets and cool things and never use them. 

I also use curtain rods to hold up my clamps. I'm pretty basic and no frills. 

You can get them from the apqs store, and I did get mine there and at the time, I was just sooooo thrilled to elevate those clamps.  Wasn't till later that I noticed in a picture the curtain rod.  Much more budget friendly option.

Second input.  I agree, as exciting as it is getting a machine, hold off before buying a lot of stuff until you get comfortable with your Lenni.  Questions are good and so is the answers from experience.  I bet most of us bought stuff, never used.  I tried every gadget that came out.  I have R and something boards, bunches and bunches of rulers, circle lord, CL long boards etc and still was challenged by feathers and a few other things.  I probably spent thousands before getting a computer, which may have been cheaper if I had purchased it in the first place.  It's all about you, your skills which come with practice and comfort.  Be excited, play with Lenni, then go wild!!!  I do love how all of us agree, zippers and side clamps are the best basic must have(s).

Hi,

I agree to go slow with the "extra's and gadgets......I would get the ruler base....I don't use it all that often...but I do occasional to do things like "stitch in the ditch".....I also got the extra feet packet...and I have found that a nice addition......I did buy red snappers a few years ago...but have yet to use them.....ummmm......pinning is faster than making the channels for the red snappers....and I actually don't mind the pinning....yep...investing in those corsage pins is a good idea as they are a bit longer and stronger than the regular long pins......I also got a magnetic pin bowl....it just sits on my leader bars so getting the pins is not a hassle.  I also got duplicate rulers, rotatory cutters, scissors ...etc as my Lucey and big cutting table is downstairs and the sewing area is upstairs....saves time....and I also made a batting cradle out of an old sheet and selvage edge strips....just pinned the selvage edges to the four corners of a folded in half sheet, tied them to the legs of the frame....then I can throw my batting in there to keep it off the floor.  I got a mirror to check the bottom of the quilt for good stitches and a really cool flashlight that has a flat square light about 4inches by four inches that I can use to see better under the quilt....oh..I have one of those little plastic boxes that has little drawers that slide out to keep extras in like bobbin cases (you may want to get a few extras of those....I adjust them to the threads I use most often so I don't have to fiddle much with bobbin tension....just change the bobbin case to match the bobbin thread I am using....and I got one of those hex wrench sets with the size that I can use to tighten the brake screws with as it has a bigger handle than the one that came with my machine....Oh, and don't forget the box of Band-Aids....seems I like to stitch my fingers.......Lin

Beth:  If you didn't get a turbo winder with the machine, a good bobbin winder would be a worth while investment.  Any good industrial one should be OK.  Unlike most of the "pinners", I don't like corsage pins.  I use "T" pins.  You can get them in several sizes.  You might want to take a look at them.  I have a small tool box I keep various tools and supplies like needles and extra bobbin cases, and oil, in.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived