Learning to Adapt and Overcome

For the past 15 or so years, I've always went to the Texas State Mountain and Dulcimer Championships in Glenrose Texas.  My wife and I both play the dulcimer and autoharps.  This festival is in it's 37th year and is held at an RV park.  They have a huge stage and have performers on stage from 10:00 am to 10:00 pm on Friday and Saturday.  They also have workshops and of course the contests to choose the state champions.

The RV Park was full and the music was plentiful.  Everybody just brings their fold up chairs and sit on the grass under the trees and listens to music.  Over the years for some of us it's not as much the music as it is just the fellowship.  Some of us have known each other for 30 years or so.  Several of us are also quilters....SOOOO...I arrive at the RV park Wednesday about 10:00 am and by noon the camper is set up and I have 3 of my quilting girlfriends loaded in my car and we hit the quilt shops.  Had a blast and did more laughing than buying although each of us did purchase some fabric.

One of my quilting friends, Kate, and her husband have a 45' toy hauler...she sets her quilting machine up in the garage part and quilts all week so this year I decided I needed to bring my machine and do some quilting when it got too hot to stay outside....Now my camper is no where near as large as her camper and I don't have a garage to set up in but I didn't let that stop me.  I set my machine up and all my friends came by to see my Campers "Quilting Studio."  They were impressed...actually had some women I didn't know stop by and wanted to see my quilting studio and my camper.  Got quite a bit accomplished....made some blocks for a quilt....did a lot of reading....listen to some music...played some music...did a lot of visiting...and just relaxed and thanked God for all his blessings.

So here is a pic of my Campers Quilting Studio.  Small but very doable.  Still trying to figure out how to get my longarm in this small camper.  LOL.   Next is view from front of my camper where I sat each morning and rocked with my coffee and read my Bible and thanked God for His blessings.  The third pic is of everyone sitting around listening to the music...at night the place was packed out.

IMG_20180510_072120.jpg

IMG_20180511_073111.jpg

IMG_20180511_130046.jpg

How fun David.  Makes me want to get a camper and go wandering . . .hmmm 

A couple of years ago I read an article about a quilting instructor who bought a large RV and put her Millie in it.  Was traveling across the country teaching, and decided "why not?"   Always had some place to stay when she spent a few days teaching at a guild, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I love your camping sewing room.  Shoot, I wouldn't mind having something like that just so I could get away from the kids when I was sewing.  I'd just drive it a few miles to a nearby park and enjoy a quiet pieceful afternoon.  :rolleyes:

What a great little set up...I just moved back to VA from Dallas and there are soooo many quilters and quilt shops out there!  Other than the weather you will love it!  You never know, maybe over time the camper get together will morph into a quilting retreat....:)

Hi Jim, thank you.  I am looking forward to our next adventure.  The heat should not bother me much, it's hot here in Bakersfield, CA too.  DH already researched,  they have East Texas Quilt Guild, the same one you mentioned.  I am sure I'll see some of you in one of the shows around Texas.

Archived