Lawn fabric for backing - any suggestions?

Hi all super new here but was wondering if anyone has used lawn as a backing for a quilt? There is some lawn in the quilt top but am hoping to incorporate lawn as a backing, I want this to be a somewhat summer appropriate quilt - if possible lol. I think I've gotten all the help I could possibly get from google, which mentioned nothing about quilting it. 

My concern is my long arm needle might rip right through the lawn. Has anyone ever longarmed a quilt with a lawn backing? I assume I can always purchase smaller sized needles for my longarm? I have a Millenium for anyone who wants to know. 

Welcome to the forum.

I haven't used a lawn fabric in quilts.  I think it might be a little on the lightweight side and may not hold up in the long term.  I wouldn't be too concerned about the needle ripping the fabric.  You can indeed use a smaller needle.  Try a sample and see what happens.

11 hours ago, jimerickson said:

What is "lawn" backing?  Is it just a grass printed fabric, or something altogether different?  If it's just printed fabric any needle size should do.  If it's something else, who knows?  Jim

Jim, Lawn is a type of fabric.  It is lighter weight than quilting cotton.  A description from Fabric.com

Cotton Lawn is a lightweight, breathable fabric with a smooth texture. This fabric is perfect for lightweight tops, dresses, and skirts that are perfect for spring and summer. Due to the lightweight nature of the fabric, you might want to consider adding a lining to your garment.

Archived